Tummy Tuck for a Patient with Lupus?

do you think its a good idea to get a tummy tuck if you have mild lupus?

Having a Tummy Tuck with lupus (SLE) is NOT a good Idea

+2

Lupus is an auto-immune disease with diverse manifestations and severity in which the body attacks and various organs including, ski, kidneys  and brain among others. The primary lesion is infiltration of blood vessels with inflammatory cells which leads to decreased blood circulation.

Although one can "get away" with performing a Tummy Tuck on a patient with mild Lupus, that is far from certain regardless of the clearance by a hematologist. As well meaning as they may be, these are not surgeons and do not understand the complexity of the operation and its extreme dependence of a reliable blood supply to the skin.

For your safety, I would probably decline doing this procedure on you.

Tummy tuck for a patient with lupus

+1

Only with a full medical written clearance would I attempt this surgery. Also I would ONLY do it in a hospital setting with overnight stay.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Medical clearance is crucial before tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

We would have a long conversation with your rheumatologist, so he or she understands exactly what a tummy tuck involves.  It is probably fine, but we only proceed with the rheumatologist's approval.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Lupus and Tummy Tuck

+1

I would discuss this first with your rheumatologist or physician managing your lupus. Generally, it should not be an issue and not likely to effect the results of surgery but each individual must be evaluated on a case by case basis.