Lumpy Nostril After Rhinoplasty

I had rhinoplasty in Nov 09. The upper inside of my left nostril is lumpy and swollen. I ask my doctor to look but he doesn't and tells me that it is normal.

I don't have this problem in the right nostril. When I look at the right one it is what I consider a normal smooth nostril. I did not have lumps prior to having the surgery and am very concerned. Is it a hematoma?

Lump after Rhinoplasty could be a lipo granuloma

+1

Is the area in question sore? It is impossible to make a diagnosis as to what the problem is without seeing you in person. I doubt this is a suture at 3 months, though it could be one that did not dissolve.

There is a post rhinoplasty complication where the ointment used in packing can get trapped in the marginal incision (the one inside the nostril) and cause chronic swelling and soreness.

It is also possible you have a low grade infection, a short course of antibiotics may helpful.

Hope this helps.

Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric nostrils after rhinoplasty

+1

The lump that is present on the inside of the nostril is the leading edge of the lower lateral cartilage. This is acceptable as long as it is not blocking airflow through the nasal passageways. This is nothing to be concerned about; this is not a hematoma.

Swollen nostril 3 months after Rhinoplasty

+1

I agree with the other surgeons. This is not a hematoma. It is hard to evaluate the final result until 6-12 months have passed. I know it's hard to wait, but the worst thing a surgeon can do is to re-operate too early and cause more harm than good.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

It is too soon to say.

+1

You can't make any judgements for 6-12 months due to swelling. It is not a hematoma after this much time has passed. Have your surgeon reevaluate your nose in June. 

Nostril shape after rhinoplasty

+1

This is unlikely to be a hematoma at this stage, and this would in fact be an unusual location for bleeding. You had surgery so recently, that this is most likely swelling which will resolve within the next 6-12 months.

I realize that it's hard to be patient during this period of time, but nasal swelling really does take a long time to go down. Also, it's not unusual for one nostril to be more swollen than the other, as often during surgery one side needs more work than the other. I suggest staying with your surgeon and giving yourself just a bit more time. Good luck and best wishes.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Lump in nostril after srugery

+1

IT is unlikely that it is a hematoma and more likely that it is a suture or a piece of cartilage. Generally speaking you are still relatively early in the post-operative period and I would follow the advice of your treating surgeon. It is more likely that it will resolve with time but perhaps something will become more apparent as time progresses and may require treatment or intervention