Lumpy Neck, Visible Swelling in Cheeks After Facelift- Is It Permanent?

It's been 4.5 weeks since my facelift. My neck is lumpy and a rather large scar is visiable. If people look staright at me, they cannot see since it's under the chin but if I turn my head they can see it. My lower left cheek has a VISIBLE walnut size swelling. And my left cheek has a once-inch veritical visible "thingy" (looks like a smooth rope under the skin). I'm seeing my plastic surgeon in a few days but will these go away or I am stuck with them forever?????

Healing after a facelift

+1
Generally speaking, it can take 6 to 12 months to completely heal after surgery. Please keep in touch with your surgeon or his/her clinical team to discuss your ongoing concerns.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumpy Neck and Cheek 4 Weeks after Facelift

+1

All of these bumps may be normal swelling, but they should be evaluated for fluid collections or hematomas as well as fat necrosis and suture reactivity or tissue bunching.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lumpy Neck, Visible Swelling in Cheeks After Facelift- Is It Permanent

+1

It sounds like there was a large amount of swelling and possibly bleeding during your procedure. That can cause what you are seeing and in time should get better. There might be some shots like kenalog that might help in some cases too.

Julio Garcia, MD

4.5 Weeks After a Facelift

+1

It is far, far too early to make a judgment on your final result.  You can expect some degree of incisional redness, in addition to areas of swelling which are most likely related to lymphatic edema.  Gentle finger tip massage, and more importantly.... time are likely to help.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Facelift

+1

One month after facelift surgery seems like a long time.  However, it is not until six to twelve months after surgery before all of the swelling is gone and the scars have matured in appearance. 

It is common to have concerns similar to yours after this type of surgery.  With time and massage, many of the firm areas soften and incisional scars fade away.  I would not become preoccupied with thoughts of a revision only a month after surgery. 

I do agree that visiting with your surgeon and communicating your concerns are a very appropriate and important steps.  Your surgeon has specific knowledge of your procedure and should be able to guide you to the right postoperative strategy to manage your concerns.       

Hope this helps.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

4.5 weeks post-op

+1

Each situation is unique and only your surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on post-operative questions such as this

Sam Naficy, MD

Early face lift results.

+1
Rarely patients develop a small collection of blood that forms a clot. One has to wait for that to become liquid so that it can be aspirated. The walnut size lump could be one of these collections which could be aspirated with a needle in the office. See if your surgeon can help you with that. If the blood clot is not aspirated it will turn into scar tissue but with time and massage it should go away.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after facelift

+1

I don't think the things you are describing will be permanent. Your surgeon will be able to help you the most since he/she knows what was done. Hang in there.

Ronald Schuster, MD

4.5 weeks is too early after a face lift to see final results

+1

4.5 weeks is still an early result.  There may be small pockets of fluid that will resolve with time and massage.  Please have a frank discussion with your surgeon.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

4.5 weeks is an early result!

+1

At  I month you likely have some small resolving collections  of blood called hematomas. The lump under your jaw could be your submandibular  gland. Sometimes deferring the neck aggressively will unmask these normal structures.  Your surgeon may do some injections  of dilute kenalog to help with some of these issues. You should be showed how to do some manual massaging to perform several times per day. Good luck 

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon