Lumpy and Bumpy 4 Weeks Post-facial Liposuction: Will Massage Help?

I had facial liposuction 4 weeks ago on the area under my chin, neck and "jowls." I am 33 and it looks pretty good. There is some swelling still and it feels lumpy or tight under the skin in some areas. The doctor recommend doing light massage on it at this point. Can using a Clarisonic help? What kind of massage/technique should I do and how often? When will the swelling subside?

Lumpiness after chin liposuction is usually temporary

+2

'Lumps and bumps' after neck liposuction (or any liposuction procedure for that matter) are not uncommon.  These are contour irregularities that may last up to several months -- rarely are these irregularities permanent.  Using your thumbs to massage the relevant areas is an excellent start to obtaining smooth results.  Occasionally, small aliquot steroid injections may be necessary to hasten resolution.  In our practice, we use radiofrequency-based laser devices 3 weeks post-operatively to soften and massage out any irregularities.  This is highly effective as improvements can be seen immediately -- and there is no downtime!

Massage will help lumpy bumpy skin 4 weeks after Face, Neck, Chin and Jowl Liposuction

+2

Swelling and skin irregularities and lumpy bumpy skin, also called skin contour irregularities, are the most common complaint following Liposuction.

They can be temporary or permanent.

Skin contour irregularities can be more common after liposuction in areas of thin skin such as the face, chin, neck or jowls and also after Liposuction in any area in thin fit people who do not have a lot of fat beneath the skin.

Warm compresses and massage usually help resolve temporary skin irregularities or lumpy bump skin after Liposuction.

Most temporary irregularities are caused by collections of blood and fluid and partially damaged and inflamed  fat and will resolve with massage by 2-3 months. You should see some improvement immediately after massage.

There are however some skin irregularities which become permanent.

If the Liposuction has been done non uniformly, it is possible that lumps of fat left behind can produce permanent lumpy bumpy areas which can only be improved by secondary Liposuction. Areas needing further Liposuction treatment are not evident, and should not be treated until at least 6 months or a year has elapsed to allow time for temporary irregularities to resolve.

Temporary skin irregularities tend to be firmer, often tender and do not feel soft like fat.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/non-surgical-procedures/laser-double-chin-removal-the-nonsurgcal-neck-lift/

Lumpy after neck lipo

+1

You are early in the healing process. It is normal for the colors of bruises to change as they heal. Its always best to have the strap on to reduce fluid accumulation. Swelling can remain for many months and the skin softens over time as well. Massage can also be helpful. Every plastic surgeon is just a bit different in terms of their post op protocol so make sure to check with your plastic surgeon before intialting any reatment recommendations from this post.

Chin Liposuction

+1

Use a massage technique that is not too aggressive, and inflammatory.  I doubt the Clarisonic is going to help you to any significance, other than cleaner skin.  We have people massage gently 2-3 minutes, and do this 3-4 times a day.

Web reference: http://www.elitemdspa.info/

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Lumpiness after chin and neck liposuction

+1
Your swelling and lumpiness will likely last a few months. Massage to the area 3-4 times per day with your thumb in an upward and outward direction will help. You can use a clarisonic as it may break up the swelling faster.
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Lumpiness after chin liposuction

+1

Massage after liposuction is most often a good idea.  It helps with the swelling and with the lumpiness that you may notice immediately postoperatively.  For other parts of the body, we have been using Smooth Shapes and/or Cellupulse treatments to soften areas that remain firm after liposuction.   

Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Massage

+1

The lumpiness after liposuction can occur.  Massage is an effective method to help lesson these areas.  There are no recommended techniques or devices.  Usually, just the good old fashion use of your or someone else's hands will do.

Dr. ES