Facelift 3 weeks ago - Could I have lumps of malpositioned fatty tissue on my chin?

I had a facelift done 3 weeks ago. My chin looked fine at first; now two semi-hard lumps have surfaced on the front of my chin. I just read elsewhere on this site that fat is excised and manipulated to remove jowls during a facelift. Could these lumps be malpositioned fatty tissue? If so, can they be injected and broken down with a steroid? I look like I have a weird case of the mumps.

Lumps on chin after facelift

+1
Lumps often form around the chin especially after a neck lift with platysmal muscle tightening is done.  These usually resolve in the first 3-6 weeks with massage.

However it is best that you be examined by your plastic surgeon for a diagnosis and recommendation.

Lumps

+1
This is not too uncommon and usually goes away with time. You need to see you surgeon to be evaluated.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Lumps on chin after facelift

+1
It is possible for lumps to form following a facelift. This is usually a result of inflammation in the underlying tissue and will typically resolve over a period of several weeks. If the swelling persists, it is reasonable to try steroid injection to facilitate the healing process. Make sure to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you are healing according to plan.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Chin swelling 3 weeks after face lift

+1
Thank you for your face lift question.

• It is not usual to have late swelling in front of the chin after a face lift
  • Ask your surgeon what the cause might be,
  • It is common to have hard swelling under the chin where the platysma muscle is tightened and fat, usually removed,
  • If you have been wearing a facial garment, the swelling could be caused by the garment. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Facelift 3 weeks ago

+1
Dear chessmom, thank you for your question.Swelling after a facelift may persists from weeks to months, causing bumps or asymmetries to appear. In San Diego, we monitor our patients closely for one year to address any issues. Follow up with your surgeon to check if this is swelling versus something else and if treatment is indicated. Best of Luck.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Firmness beneath the chin after facelift

+1
These firm areas could represent areas of healing and or swelling. If these areas remain persistent and they might represent an area fat necrosis.  If it is suspected fat necrosis and judicious use of steroid injections is a possible solution. 

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Facelift at 3 weeks

+1
Lumps can develop anywhere the tissue is dissected. This may represent a seroma or fat necrosis or just swelling. Best of luck.

Facelift 3 weeks ago.

+1
During facelift the fat in the chin proper is not repositioned as the procedure is typically addressing the jowl fat pad. The key too is repositioning and replacement, and not removal. What the lumps in your chin are we cannot know, though a photo might help.

Temporary loans three weeks after a facelift are usually the product of swelling.

+1
This fat translocation you're talking about is not generally part of the facelift. Your surgeon can tell you specifically what he's done. My guess in the lumps three weeks after the operation are probably due isolated areas of swelling.