Can Lumps from Juvederm Be Removed by Liposuction?

I had Juvederm injected in my laugh lines over 2 years ago. Visible/palpable lumps immediately resulted on one side right at the corner of my mouth, which I have tried to dissolve with hyaluronidase 3 times: 3 weeks, 3 months and 20 months later . The lumps are still there and a plastic surgeon offered to try to use a liposuccion canule (inserted at the ear level) to try to "suck" them out. He said he expect a 85% chance of improvement, a 10% chance of no change and a 5% chance of worsening?

Long lasting lumps from Juvederm

+2

This is my analysis of the problem.

1. the lumps are not Juvederm (hyaluronidase) because hyaluronidase did not remove them. 
  2. they are unlikely to be fat but liposuction might break up the tissue and reduce the lumpiness.
  3. When I do liposuction in this area, I use a tiny fat-harvesting cannula just below the lumps to minimize trauma to the area which can cause new lumps to form.
  4. I supsect your problem is a granulomatous foreign body reaction to the Juvederm -- this is an immune response. In my practice, I will usually inject a tiny amount of steroid injected directly into the lump if I suspect a granuloma has formed.

Sorry this happened. Best wishes for a speedy resolution

Lumps along nasolabial folds form filler

+1

If the lumps are due to the presence of a hyaluronic acid filler, then hyaluronidase should dissolve it. It is was something else than the hyaluronidase will not work.  An exam in person would be helpful.

Hyaluronidase should work

+1

Perhaps it was Juvederm Plus.  This requires more Hyaluronidase than Ultra.  This should correct it if enough is injected and at the right level.  I would doubt a liposuction cannula would work since the product is integrated into the dermis and/or subcutaneous fat, it is not free standing.  A lipo cannula would probably just remove fat and could leave you with a dent.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvaderm/filler lumps - what to do

+1

I have seen several patients like this and have also tried hyaluronidase unsuccessfully.  I eventually treated it with needle puncture and evacuation.  Fortunately it worked.  It might be something you can discuss with your plastic surgeon or the doctor who injected the filler.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon