Lumps from Botox?

I've had Botox a few times on the forehead and around the eyes - with no issues until the last time 3 months ago. 2 weeks after the injections, I got a very large lump on my forehead (larger than a quarter - round,extruding 1/8 inch). I thought it was some sort of insect bite, but I keep getting them and only in the areas where I had Botox injections.

They usually resolve in 2 hours. No pain - but sometimes preceded by slight itching. I can't think of another cause. Could this be a Botox side effect?

Injection technique

+1

Im not totally sure what is going on with you, but I have an idea.  Sometimes when I do Botox, I put in enough that a bump appears.  I massage it in but sometimes it stays for about an hour. That sounds like what you are experiencing.

sek

Unlikely from Botox

+1

It is possible to get a lump after an injection but this would occur immediately or within a few hours. It could be due to the volume of the Botox raising the skin surface. If it coincides with bruising then there may be a small hematoma under the skin. This could be from the needle penetrating a vein or small artery. Even an allergic reaction, (which is rare), would occur within the first few days. A lump arising two weeks after the injection does not make sense and I have never seen this in the 14 years I have been injecting Botox.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

Lumps from Botox

+1

Lumps occur from Botox injections due to the amount of solution delivered with the injection. The greater the dilution of the Botox, the larger the lump. They always resolve in a few hours. 

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologist