Lumpiness and Mottling 4 Weeks After Necklift? (photo)

I posted photos at 10 days post-op with concern about ropey swelling. I am now 4 weeks out. Photos are below. The ropey swelling has gone down some, but I still have lumpiness and now more puckering and mottling of the skin. Is this normal? I have been doing massage. I see my PS in 2 days. What should I ask him?

Lumpiness and Mottling 4 Weeks After Necklift?

+2

I have performed Face Lifts and Neck Lifts for 25 years.  IMHO, the rope like swelling was due to the suction drain inside the neck tissue.  This should slowly resolve within several weeks.  No matter what anyone tells you...full Neck Lifts and traditional Face Lifts have a significant amount of tissue dissection.  This means that lumps, bumps and swelling can take months to resolve.  This is why I belive minimal incision Face Lifts, with far less tissue dissection, fall more in line with patients lifestyle and desire for a quicker recovery.  

Lumpiness after neck lift

+2

It is very common to have contour irregularities following a neck lift. It can take several weeks to months for the skin to achieve it's ultimate natural contour. Massage can be helpful. That being said, I would make sure to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you are healing normally.

Todd C. Miller, MD

+1
This lumpy quality may well improve with time. This is not uncommon.

Temporary vs long term neck irregularity

+1

Hello

Thank you for the question and the photos.   At this early stage I suspect that time and massage alone will go a long way to correct/improve the issues you are describing.  There some issues that may last quite a while such as over resection of fat through liposuction.  At this time I would continue to give your body additional time and discuss with your plastic surgeon the timeframe in assessing whether any revision will be beneficial.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Neck lumpiness after neck lift

+1

What you describe is very common after neck lift or neck liposuction.  It may be from minor interruption in lymphatic drainage.  This usually resolves, but may take a long time (sometimes months).  I will sometimes inject steroids into any particularly firm areas.  Massage is usually a good idea as well.  Just let your plastic surgeon take a look. 

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon