Lump 8 Years After Saline Implants?

8 years ago I had a saline implant in my right breast. While doing an exam I noticed a lump on the side of my breast back towards my armpit. I know that my surgeon had used one of the mentor implants one that could be adjusted up to 6 months after the surgery. My question is could what I'm feeling be the valve to add more saline to the implant? I thought those valves were located towards the front of the breast?

Lump

+1

This lump that you are feeling could be the valve typically in front under nipple, it can migrate and rotate over to the side of your breast. I would recommend you to be seen by your plastic surgeon for a complete exam.

Lump 8 Years After Saline Implants?

+1

It could be a valve, but that's not a decision you can make on your own; there's much too much at stake.  You should be seen by your plastic surgeon and, most likely, your breast surgeon to determine whether or not a non-invasive diagnostic exam (such as a mammogram or ultrasound) in indicated, or whether you should proceed to a biopsy.  Statistically, it is most likely benign (ie, not cancer) but that's not something you can take for granted.  Contact your PS or, if that is not practical, one near you.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Lump after Saline Breast Implants

+1

It is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible.  If you can you should see the original implanting surgeon.  If not you need to see another plastic surgeon or your internist or your OB/Gyn.  If you are 35 and older and haven't had a mammogram, you need to discuss this with them as well.  What you are feeling could be part of the implant, but it could also be a lymph node, a benign breast mass or even a cancer, so it is important to seek medical attention to get to the bottom of it as soon as possible.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

You need to be examined by your surgeon, or another Plastic Surgeon if your surgeon is unavailable. You could be feeling the implant, or lymph node or something else.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Lump in breast

+1

I would strongly advise you to get your breasts examined by the plastic surgeon and your gynecologist(if they examine you regularly), get a mammogram if due for one as well. Usually the adjustable implants from back then had a valve on the side that is removed a number of weeks post op. Not sure without an examination what the lump is but, a good examination is where to start. Do not put it off, so your mind is at ease.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Lump on side of breast?

+1

If you have an implant that was adjustable they usually had a remote port. It is very possible this is the case, but best to get examined by your surgeon

Lump in Breast 8 years after Breast Augmentation

+1

Without an exam, it is not possible to determine the cause of the lump.  Schedule an appointment with a Plastic Surgeon and get a mammogram.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

8 Years after Breast Augmentation and a Lump

+1

Only an exam will be able to determine if this is the valve or indeed a lump.  Please see your plastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon near you.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lump 8 Years After Saline Implants?

+1

It could be a valve from an adjustable implant, but you do need to be examined, as this cannot be diagnosed over the internet. Call your surgeon, or you primary physician for an appointment. 

All the best.