Lump on the Outside of Each Breast - Part of the Implant?

Hello, I had a breast augmentation 16 days ago and have notice a small lump on each breast in pretty much the same position, outside top about an inch down from the armpit, is this part of the implant? Or is it scar tissue? Do I need to do anything about it? Thank you.

Lump after breast augmentation.

+2

It sounds like it is probably the edge of the implant, but you should get any breast lump checked out, so I would suggest you go back to see your surgeon for reassurance.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Palpable Implant Edge May Cause Lump

+1

What you are describing sounds like a palpable implant edge and is most likely nothing to be concerned about. This is not uncommon after breast augmentation, especially in thin patients and early after surgery. As the capsules around the implants form, this will likely become less noticeable. Sometimes, however this can be a persistent problem. If your implants were placed under the muscle, this also could be the edge of the pectoralis muscle that you are feeling. It is very unlikely that this could be scar tissue that is palpable so soon after surgery and in the same position on both sides. What you should do about your concerns is to bring it to the attention of your doctor. Only the surgeon who performed your procedure will be able to accurately  determine what you are feeling and instruct you regarding the most appropriate measures, if any, to take to resolve the issue.

Max Polo, MD

+1

If you had the axillary incision approach , it is likely from that approach and should resolve during the healing process.  If you had another incision approach, it may be lymph nodes.  I recommend you be evaluated by your surgeon.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lump on the outer aspect of breast

+1

Palpable lumps on the outer upper quadrant of breast 2 weeks following breast augmentation, could be due to upper part of implant, enlarged lymph nodes, but must be evaluated by your plastic surgeon. 

Arian Mowlavi, MD
Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast lumps after breast augmentation

+1

Breast lumps can be pushed forward by the implant and become detectable where they were not before augmentation. As a rule breast lumps are always taken seriously and should be evaluated by your surgeon. The fact that they are symmetrical makes the implant edge the likely culprit, though have your surgeon take a look.

peterejohnsonmd

Small lumps after implants

+1
As you feel something on both sides and near the same location, most likely this is part of the implant. Have your surgeon examine you.

Lawrence C. Lin, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Lump after implants

+1

A small lump where you describe may very well be the implants, but I would suggest having your surgeon examine you to determine exactly what it is .

Re your question

+1
This is a very specific question that you need to address with your doctor It's difficult to assess

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon