What can I do about the lump on side of nose following rhinoplasty after nearly one month? (photo)

Hi, 26 days ago I underwent a septo-rhinoplasty. My deviated septum was straightened, my large dorsal hump was reduced, the protrusion of my nose was reduced and work was done to refine my bulbous tip. I am happy with how everything is progressing on one side, however on the other side there is a bump that I can feel both inside and outside which is distorting the shape of my nose on that side. Not only does it make my nose asymmetrical, but I don't like the way it looks on this side.

Bump after rhinoplasty

+1
You are still pretty early after rhinplasty, but that said, the bump is not subtle.  Possibilities include swelling around cartilage grafts, a misplaced cartilage graft, or a small hematoma (bleeding) the accumulated under the skin.  It is best to discuss this with your surgeon as he/she has the best idea of what maneuvers and cartilage grafts (if any) were used during your rhinoplasty.  Some surgeons use PDS plate (a slowly absorbable material) to help guide cartilage healing, and this can create a significant amount of swelling as the body breaks it down.  Other surgeons use artificial grafts, like silicone, which can accumulate fluid around them or get infected.  Again, your surgeon will know the most likely cause.

If it is felt that the swelling is most likely due to swelling around cartilage grafts, then 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) or steroid injections can sometimes help to speed recovery. 

Best of luck.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon