Lump After Breast Augmentation with Saline Implants

I had saline breast implants about 9 months ago. On my left breast, there is a lump that feels like a water bubble. Is this normal? What could this be?

Breast mass should always be investigated

+2

I am so glad you asked this question, as it has vast implications for all women. A

breast mass should always be investigated regardless of the circumstances. More than likely, the “lump” that you have detected is related to the breast augmentation.

Please return to your treating plastic surgeon for a thorough evaluation, diagnostic tests, and imaging to establish an accurate diagnosis.

Best of luck! I hope this helps.

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Any breast mass should be checked out

+2

2timesD,

Any new mass or lump in the breast should be checked out. There should not be any "water bubble" from your implants. Without seeing a picture, it is hard to give you specific advice. However, you may be feeling your implant protrude from under the muscle, but we would need more clinical information to know for sure. In any case, you should go back to your surgeon and have a thorough breast exam.

Web reference: http://www.RealPlasticSurgery.com

Masses post-op

+2

New lumps after breast augmentation must be investigated and ruled out for malignancy. Most of these masses wind up being benign but they should be investigated.

Steps to figure out the nature of the lesion could be as benign as an ultrasound.

The mass may represent a resolving hematoma or, in rarer circumstances, an isolated seroma - however no breast mass should ever be ignored.

See you plastic surgeon soon.

Any breast lump should be seen by your doctor

+1
Thank you for this important question. Any new lump or bump on your breast needs to be seen by your doctor. It could be related to your implants, but it is important that your doctor see you to rule out breast cancer. Make an appointment with your surgeon.

Breast lump

+1

It is always important to have any breast lumps evaluated by both a plastic surgeon and a general surgeon. Definitely follow up asap. Best of luck.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Lump after augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question.   I would begin by having your plastic surgeon perform an exam and perform an ultrasound or mammogram depending on your age and breast characteristics. 

If this is normal, it is possible that the bubble you are feeling is the port on your implant through which the saline was injected.

Please followup with your plastic surgeon to ensure all is well.

Dr. Gill

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Possible Causes Include Hematomas, Seromas, Areas of Fat, Etc. You Need to be Evaluated by Your Surgeon.

+1

Anytime a woman develops a new breast lump, an appropriate evaluation should be under taken to determine the cause. In the vast majority of women who develop breast lumps immediately following breast augmentation, the cause is usually related to the surgical procedure. Possible causes include small hematomas, seromas, areas of fat necrosis and possibly folds within the breast implant.

Never the less, an investigation should be performed because the consequences of missing an early stage breast cancer can be significant. It’s important that you consult your original plastic surgeon for an evaluation. Physical examination, possibly followed by mammography and ultrasound studies, may be necessary. Although, this is most likely a benign process, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Lump

+1

The lump is more than likely the implant itself that you are feeling underneath the skin where there isn't as much breast and muscle tissue covering it.  However, any lump should be investigated, so I would contact your physician and have it examined to put your mind at ease and rule out any concerns.

Web reference: http://www.hallplasticsurgery.com/breast-implants-enlargement-austin.html

Lump after breast augmentation

+1

Any new lumps or masses that are discovered after a breast augmentation should be inverstigated to make sure that they are not malignant.  This would start by your plastic surgeon and/or primary care doctor examining you and obtaining either a mammogram or other comparable radiographic study.  If there is still some doubt about what the mass is a stereotactic biopsy with a needle may be performed by a radiologist to obtain a small specimen sample.  There is certainly the possibility that it can be related to the augmentation.  This would be shown during the mammogram or other radiographic study. 

Dr Repta

Web reference: http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Breast lump following breast augmentation

+1

Any new lump in the breast should be evaluated as soon as possible by a qualified physician.  When a breast implant is present, the lump could represent a number of implant-specific issues, such as an implant edge, ripple, fold, or valve.  However, it might not be any of these things and may require more investigation.  Make sure that you see your doctor as soon as possible to determine if further workup is appropriate.

Wichita Plastic Surgeon