What Is This Lump On My Neck After Facelift?

I had full face and eyelid lift surgery 7 months ago and was happy. 3 wks ago when I touched my neck found a little lump like a small pimple a bit hard to touch & feel a bit sore around ear area and down toward the lump. Went to Dermatologist & said, it came from the scar behind ears, & nothing serious. Asked Surgeon in KL & said, possible Lymph Node inflammation, will go away, nothing to worry about. My GP said, is a knot in a suture & not go away.. Feel confused.

Face Lift lump is likely suture but will not know unless you have it looked at underneath

+3

Face Lift lump is likely suture but will not know unless you have it looked at underneath. The description of a pimple and tender to the touch sounds like it is likely a suture that can be easily removed. At 7 months, the effects from the lift are likely settled and you could remove this suture without effects of losing your lift. But that is always a possibility of losing some of the lifting effects from taking the sutures out. One suture will likely have no significant effect at this point.

Thanks for reading, Dr Young

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lump in neck after Face Lift could be an internal suture

+2

Only the plastic and cosmetic surgeon, that did your Face Lift and Neck Lift, knows for certain but it sounds like a deep tissue suture that's typically used in this area of the neck to imbricate the Platysma muscle in the neck.  A small amount of local to the area, needle nick and clip the suture removing it should take care of the issue...if that's the cause.

It is a strange color and a strange location.

+2

Typically facelifts require buried suture in this region.  It is possible that this may represent some type of suture granuloma.  I am surprised your surgeon did not simple excise this.  This is not what a neck lymph node should look like.  When in doubt, it should be biopsied.  It is a small office procedure and will get rid of the offending lesion, permit a pathologist to examine it and make a diagnosis,  If it is cause by a suture, this will permit its removal.  Scarring should be minimal.

What the heck is it?

+2

I have no idea and all three could be wrong. If I had to guess, a suture sounds possible but the surgeon should know if that's even possible. there is no skin scar there but internal scar could be possible. I recommend you continue to observe, it it increases in size or symptoms get it removed.  good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Lump on neck after facelift

+1

This does not appear to represent lymph node inflammation.  It may represent a reaction to one of the sutures used to tighten the muscle under the skin.  Certainly, I doubt that it is anything to worry about or which requires pathology.  But your surgeon should try to remove this in the office if it is a bother to you.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lump On Neck After Facelift

+1

Based on your photo it appears that you have an extruding permanent suture.  This should be removed by your surgeon.

Sam Naficy, MD

Face Lift

+1

I recommend you go to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and ask them what it is.  It could be some inflamed lymph nodes near a suture knot under the skin so everyone may be right to some extent.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and they should get your on track.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Facelift - What Is This Lump On My Neck After Facelift?

+1

It's impossible to answer this without being able to see you in person.  It's not even clear that it's related to the facelift, although that seems likely.  Among the possibilities are a retained suture, a lymph node, a burst and scarred blood vessel - and a whole range of things that may never be elucidated.  You should contact your PS and then, most likely, your internist to have it assessed.  A biopsy may be warranted.

In short, although it most likely benign (ie not dangerous) and most likely secondary to your facelift, you should not assume either of those and ignore it.  Instead, you should have it assessed as though you had never had a facelift.  Just to be sure.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Lump after facelift

+1

I agree with the responses, you need to be evaluated by your original doctor.  It is probably a suture that is easily removed, though you should not guess.  Let us know if you have any additional questions!

Richard Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lump after Facelift Surgery

+1

It is difficult to determine what this is, exactly.  The image you sent makes it hard to completly evaluate.  Someone would need to see you in person, as well as manually palpate this area to be assured as to the etiology of this mass.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD