Lump Inside of Mouth After Radiesse Injections?

I had radiesse 4 weeks ago into marionette lines. 2 weeks after the injection I noticed a bump at the very left side of my lower lip, not at injection site. Inside of my mouth has a nodule as well - it's hard and in the shape of horse shoe, under my skin, palpable but not visible. The outside bump is barely visible now but inside bump is there. It feels bigger in the morning and then a little smaller towards the end of the day. Can this be related to Radiesse. How long can I expect to have it there?

Follow up

+1

I would recommend having a follow up. Radiesse does not often migrate that far. It would be best to be felt in person. Best of luck.

+1

The farther away the lump is from the injection site, the less it's likely to be related to the Radiesse.  Of course, you could have some swelling or even a small backup in the blood vessels of the area caused by a distant injection, but that seems unlikely.  Either way, if it's not (that) visible from the outside and is resolving on its own, then that would be the best case scenario.  Massage may help and you should, of course, stay in touch with your PS.  For better or worse, these and other issues related to Radiesse, like the product itself, are rarely permanent.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Lump After Radiesse Treatment

+1

Radiesse is a thick, viscous hydrogel that does not typically “run” after injection. The injector must mold this filler to the patient’s desired appearance. That said, a bump might form along the nasolabial folds, where Radiesse was injected; but it sounds unlikely that the filler would spread to the lower lip. Bearing in mind that every person is different and may have slightly different reactions, I advise you to go back and see the doctor who treated you. If it is a pocket of Radiesse, it should dissolve in 12 to 18 months.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

The lump inside the mouth may be unrelated, product, or fluid collection.  The injector will have to help sort this out for you as you will need an exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lump Inside Mouth After Radiesse

+1

It is difficult to say for sure, but if the lump/bump you are feeling inside your lower lip is not at the site where the Radiesse was injected, it most likely unrelated to the Radiesse. I would suggest you go back to the doctor who did the injections for evaluation. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Lump inside mouth after Radiesse

+1

I have heard of instances where bumps have developed in the mouth and lips due to Radiesse.  In these cases, the Radiesse was not injected directly into the mouth or lip, but nearby.  My guess is that there may be some pockets or planes of tissue that allow the Radiesse to travel a short distance and create the bump.  If your issue is due to the Radiesse, then it should go away with time, but it could take several months.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lump in mouth after Radiesse

+1

If the bump is not where any filler was done I have a hard time believing it's from that. Maybe your injector did some numbing agent in that area prior to the Radiesse, and it could be from that? The other option is that you got a cold sore (fever blister) just from the trauma to the mouth area. This happens with fillers for people who are prone to outbreaks and why we recommend these types of patients pre-treat with oral meds before and after procedures (if they aren't already taking them daily). I would suggest you consult with physician for an evaluation of what's causing this and how best to treat it.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD