Black Lump Under Incision After Upper Blepharoplasty (Double Eyelid), What Could this Be? (photo)

I had upper blepharoplasty surgery on 1st oct 2011, and two weeks ago, i found a lump on the incision on my right eye, when i touch it, i feel a sharp pain and when i gently rub my finger across the lump, it seems like there is something sharp and hard poking out of the skin, and the thing poking out seems to be black in colour as seen from the photo. I asked my plastic surgeon whether it is leftover stitch, but he said he uses dissolvable stitch so it's fine. Is this normal? What should i do?

What Is The Black Lump In My Previous Eyelid Surgery And How Should It Be Treated?

+1

The black lump present in your eyelid surgery may be any number of things, a retained stitch that is now encapsulated, possibly some mascara or eyeshadow that got into a scab on your suture line, or any number of other culprits.  The treatment is relatively simple.  It can be done in the office in about 3 minutes with minimal to no pain. 

Have a second discussion with your plastic surgeon, and ask him to remove it no matter what the etiology of the problem is.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Black dot of suture line

+1

What you are feeling is more than likely a piece of retained suture.  You should hae your surgeon evaluate it and remove it.

Black Lump Under Incision After Upper Blepharoplasty (Double Eyelid), What Could this Be?

+1

This is could very likely be a retained permanent suture from your Eyelid Surgery.   You should have the plastic and cosmetic surgeon, that did your eyelid surgery examine the isue and treat you accordingly.  

Black Lump Under Incision After Upper Blepharoplasty

+1

The absorbable suture should resolve after 4-6 weeks depending on the type od suture used. Sometimes suture reaction occur which causes a suture granuloma. This occurs when body develops a wall of scar around the suture, particularly around the knot. It may require exploration. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid bump after surgery

+1

Your plastic surgeon should be able to better answer this question, based on his examination. You can get another opinion from a facial plastic or oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon