Lump Along Incision After Breast Lift and Augmentation

2 weeks ago I had a benelli breast lift (periareolar breast lift) and augmentation. Today the tape came off and I have a lump on the bottom of my left areola. Please let me know what this is, if it will go away and if there is anything I should do. I am using neosporin as the doctor advised and will be switching to a scar cream in a week. All advice and knowledge is helpful. Thank you.

“Lump” Along Incision after Breast Lifting?

Thank you for the picture.

Some pleating  and/or irregularity around the areola is not uncommon after the breast augmentation/lifting procedure;  probably nothing to worry about. Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Lump at periareolar incision

Hard to say what exactly that is from the photo. It may represent pursing of the tissue along the suture line.  But can't be sure without an exam.  Ask you doc.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Scar irregularities are common early after periareolar mastopexies

Your photo demonstrates some irregularities around the areola, especially at the bottom. Periareolar crimping almost always occurs with this purse-string technique and typically resolves over time. In your case, there may be a slight mis-match between the areolar skin and the periareolar skin, but most often this also settles down as the scar matures. If not, it is very easy to fix, so do not worry. I recommend that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon so he or she can reassure you.

Bruce E. Genter, MD, FACS
Abington Plastic Surgeon

2 Park Lane
Feasterville, PA 19053

Your surgeon holds the key

This could represent many things swelling, extra tissue, where the suture is tied, etc.  I agree with Dr. Rand it is best to get the answer straight from the horse's mouth (ie your surgeon).  Only he/she will know what this truly represents.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS, FACS

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078

Lump around periareolar lift

Probably this is either a stitch or just pleating of the skin.  Check with your doctor to see what it is - they will know and you should trust them more that anyone on the internet!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Lump after Donut lift

The lump could be due to many different causes. Other than bringing this to the attention of your surgeon, I would do nothing at this time. It could be: a permanent or 2) absorbable stitch, or  3) a cyst, or  stitching technique, etc. 

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

See your surgeon if you are worried

This is a common finding after the nipple lift and it will get better. I would recommend that you  see you doctor and discuss your concerns with him. This is the result of the mismatch between the nipple circumference and the lift incision and will even out.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

3901 Veterans Blvd
Metairie, LA 70002

Mastopexy incision line lump

I believe that your lump is a suture abcess and should be examined by your surgeon immediately to be drained, especially if it was not present several days before.  Don't delay- see your doctor!

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

7 Wells Street
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Probably skin edge malalignment

It's tough to tell exactly what that is. It appears as though it may be an area of swelling of your skin as it appears that there are few of the natural skin lines on that portion of skin. I would guess that there also possibly some mal alignment of your skin edges either due to poor stitch placement, a missing stitch or just due to swelling. In any of these cases, it will get better on it's own. I don't think it is anything to be worried about, but I would discuss it with your surgeon when you see him next.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

9171 Baltimore National Pike
Ellicott City, MD 21042

Scar settles down after breast lift with breast implants.

Where is you surgeon? What does he say? You could have a small suture abscess after Benelli breast lift with breast implants, and you should be seen right away. But you will probably be fine when you are healed.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075