Lump About 2 Inches Long 5 Months After Tummy Tuck. Causing Alot of Pain and Discomfort, and Getting Worse As Days Go By?

I had a tummy tuck 6/12. 5 months ago I was at my son's soccer game & was cheering on sidelines and I yelled out, when I did that I felt a pop in my lower left side near the scar from the tummy tuck, it instantly doubled me over . I thought it was a hernia, but a CT scan ruled that out. The Dr. ordering the scan said he felt that it was a crappy suturing job and that the lump is scar tissue and that the tightning of the muscles under the skin have come undone. I am in a lot of pain HELP

Pain 6 Months after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the probable complication you have experienced after tummy tuck surgery. Your clear history  of the events and the subsequent discomfort is consistent with disruption of the abdominal wall plication performed during your tummy tuck surgery.

As you know, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to precise diagnosis and treatment recommendations.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

Acute onset of lower abdominal pain 6.5 months following a tummy tuck

+1

You did not state who the doctor was who ordered the CT scan nor how they could intelligently comment on the suture repair of your muscle plication. Was that doctor an ER physician? Primary care doc? If so, they would not have much expertise in this area.

Did you contact your operating surgeon? If not, you should and have them assess you. You can also obtain one or more second opinions from reputable board certified plastic surgeons if you so desire or are still not sure.

At 6.5 months following a muscle plication, it would be rare for the repair to break though not necessarily impossible.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Late Pain After TT

+1

Tina,

While I cannot verify and confirm what you have said the Radiologist has allegedly  communicated to you it is unfortunate when other practitioners defame other fields of surgery the have no knowledge or background.
 When you had your Tummy Tuck most likely your surgeon oversewed or plicated your abdominal wall. This can confirmed by obtaining a copy of your operative report. With heavy activity these sutures can and do tear through the abdominal muscles. This often results in severe pain. Conservative treatment like for a hamstring pull is usually indicated- compression, decreased exertion, massage therapy, NSAIA's etc. Because of this possible post-operative event surgeons who perform Tummy Tucks with plication on a regular basis have moved to dissolvable sutures. These sutures are very expensive, strong for 2 to 3 months after surgery but, usually dissolve in about 180 days.
 Consider returning to surgeon again for an explanation of your event and treatment. Hopefully, your condition will improve over the course of the next 6 to 8 weeks. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Has Suture Come Undone After Tummy Tuck

+1

Suture loosening or breaking is possible, fascia tearing at the sight of suture placement is also possible, and scar or adhesion separation is possible as well.  You should be able to determine if the repair has been compromised by looking in the mirror.  If your belly sticks out more than it did before and looks worse cosmetically, then you can have that area repaired.  Realize that the incision will probably need to be opened, and this may be almost as much surgery as the original tummy tuck.  Also realize that your fascia may be so weak that sutures will not hold.  Your plastic surgeon can tell you what is appropriate.

Tummy tuck suture popping

+1

This is a common situation which can occur. As a person becomes more active the tissue is stress and the sutures can pop loose.  This is most likely what happened.  The good news is that by  six months the scar tissue will most likely hold the repair inplace.  This may represent the firm scar tissue that you feel.  The current pain and discomfort will resolve in a few weeks.  I don't believe this is bad repair.  You should follow up,with your plastic surgeon, he will want to know and follow and support you.

Web reference: Http://www.sanfranciscocosmetic-surgery.com

Lump Pain and Discomfort

+1

I would hesitate to try to explain your symptoms without the benefit of more history and the ability to do an examination. My recommendation would be to  begin your evaluation with a visit to your surgeon. If that is not helpful, seeking a second opinion seems appropriate. 

Thank you for your question, best wishes.