Lump Under Eye Though No Fat Was Supposed to Be Put There? (photo)

I have had a lump right under my right eye since the very day I got my fat transfer in June of 2012 (8 months ago), so I know it's not scar tissue. It has gotten smaller, but it is still there; it makes under my eye look puffy and wrinkled, though when I feel it, the lump itself is a squishy, solid line. Will it go away with more time though it's been 8 months?

Lump Under Eye After Fat Transfer

+1

The area may be excised if necessary if this is an area of fat or fat necrosis. A lower eyelid approach can be used.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lump after fat transfer

+1

Dear Hon84,

• I think 8 months is long enough in order to do something about it
  • It depends on what it looks like, and there are options
  • If you can see your surgeon, I would bring it up to him/her first
  • If your question is still unanswered, then you may need a second opinion

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

It is difficult question to answer, but likely not

+1

So based on the photos you posted, it seems that the right lower lid is certainly more full than the left side. This could be edema rather than just fat. Did you ever have HA injectible fillers like Juvederm, Restylane, or Boletero placed before your did the fat grafting? Sometimes high volume HA injections can give this edematous look.

Now, if you are saying that you also feel a solid, squishy roll, then this is likely fat and at 8 months out, it will not go away by itself.

If you had HA fillers before, you could try hyaluronidase [enzyme] that can dissolve it. Your surgeon can also try injecting steroids into the fat roll to try and shrink it down. I would try these options before surgery to try and excise the fat.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat transfer

+1

After 8 months of fat transfer, I doubt that the fullness in the lower lid will go away. It is a very difficult problem to resolve. Some people may inject the area with dilute steroid, some may recommend micro-liposuction, some may recommend surgery. Any one of these modalities may not resolve the problem completely. One needs to know where this fat is. a good sonogram with the doctor who injected the fat present during sonogram to see where this fat is may be located. Then discuss the best approach, and the pros and cons.