Lump Behind Ear That Oozed, then a Blue Thread Appeared

5 months after a revision facelift......a tender area behind my ear became a hard lump. A month later it began to just ooze a little bit. Now that the oozing stopped.....what I see is a thread that has migrated through my skin......My original facelift was an uneven mess, revision surgery was no better. You can see that there is a pull to the skin on my neck in that area. I can't afford to pay for another surgery. Will this be ok if I just leave it alone for now??? Thank you

Retained Prolene Suture

+1

It appears that you have a retained prolene suture that has resulted in a stitch abscess.  This suture will require removal and this should result in resolution of your symptoms.  It’s appropriate to contact your original surgeon who should be happy to help you.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Lump behind ear that oozed, than a blue thread appeared

+1

It is most likely a suture that has migrated to the surface.  You may wish to schedule a follow up visit with the surgeon to did the revision.

Web reference: http://hallplasticsurgery.com

Retained suture ...suture abscess

+1

Unfortunatedly the imbedded suture in you skin is causing an inflammatory process and must be removed. It is acting as a foreign body and your body is rejecting it. You need to remove it and your problem will resolve.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exposed suture after facelift

+1

It looks like you have an exposed suture.  This can usually be addressed by taking  out the suture.  Please do not try and take it out yourself. Best to go back to your surgeon and have him/her address it as they know what they put where.  

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/facelift-necklift

+1

It appears that you have a suture abscess behind the ear.  This happens when the body reacts to a foreign body and then tries to “spit” it out. It should be fine and will heal.

Web reference: http://www.drvitenas.com/facelift.html

Suture Extrusion Post facelift

+1

This is fortunately not a major problem. This appears to be a permanent suture that has eroded through the skin, which has become infected - simple removal of the suture is required. This should result in complete resolution of the problem.

Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Blue stitch behind ear, mountain or mole hill?

+1

this is not a big deal. it is a suture sinus with the suture ready for plucking. go see your surgeon and it will take approximately 15 seconds to correct. I am pretty sure he will not charge you. do it today!

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

See Your Surgeon for the Stitch

+1

The suture that eroded through the skin needs to be removed. See your facelift surgeon to have this done - it should be a straight-forward office procedure. Do not just wait - this could cause more trouble down the road if not addressed.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exposed Stitch after Facelift

+1

The blue material is an exosed stitch which can be easily removed in the office. The drainage will stop and the inflammed skin will heal. If you're not satisfied with the final appearance of the scar, a minor revision can be done.

An exposed Neck Lift Stitch needs to be Removed

+1
In the performance of a Face Lift, surgeons commonly suspend the sagging neck structures to the bony prominence behind the ear. From your photograph and description it appears the suspension suture(s) have been exposed. As a result, they are now colonized with germs and the wound will not heal until the stitch isremoved. This can be easily done in your surgeon's office with or without local anesthesia and should not be costly.