Symmetrical Lumps on Both Breasts After Implants

I had saline implant surgery on 6/9/10 under the muscle. I noticed a lump on my left and right breast after surgery. Imagine a clock... facing me would be 3pm on the left and 9pm on the right. Left side approx 0.5cm and the right is smaller. I went for my 3 month post op & showed my ps and he said that I needed to be referred to a general surgeon. I thought it could be the implants but its not. I had a mammo in 5/2010 and it came back benign calcification's with no need for f/u. I'm scared!

Follow you Plastic Surgeon's advice for evaluation of new breast 'lumps'

+2

It is not uncommon for patients notice new 'lumps' in the breast after breast augmentation. In the vast majority of cases, these lumps were present prior to the breast augmentation, but the implants make them easier to notice.  Sometimes patients are feeling the valve of the saline implant (especially in thin patients), but your plastic surgeon would have been able to discern whether or not that was the case. You mentioned a normal mammogram prior to surgery, but did not mention if there was any correlation between those results and your new lumps. Other factors such as family history of breast cancer, your age, and personal prior breast disease or conditions may also be important to the evaluation process.

As stated previously, it is most likely to be nothing to be concerned about, but you should follow through with  your plastic surgeon's advice.  

Cancer Scare after Breast Augmentation

+2

Regarding: "Symmetrical Lumps on Both Breasts After Implants
I had saline implant surgery on 6/9/10 under the muscle
. I noticed a lump on my left and right breast after surgery. Imagine a clock... facing me would be 3pm on the left and 9pm on the right. Left side approx 0.5cm and the right is smaller. I went for my 3 month post op & showed my ps and he said that I needed to be referred to a general surgeon. I thought it could be the implants but its not. I had a mammo in 5/2010 and it came back benign calcification's with no need for f/u. I'm scared
!"

Cancers are not symmetrical. The fact that the mammogram did not show anything is great. If you want peace of mind ask your PCP to authorize your having an enhanced MRI. The test will pick the vast majority of cancers a LOT earlier than a mammogram and certainly before you can feel it. It will tell you what those masses really are.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Lumps after breast implants

+2

It may be that those lumps were there prior to surgery, but the implants have now pushed them closer to the surface, making it easier to feel them.  The good news is that you've had an exam by a general surgeon and by your plastic surgeon, AND you've had a mammogram which just showed benign calcifications with no need for further follow up.  This is all very reassuring.  If you want additional reassurance, you might ask for an ultrasound or MRI.  You might also consider just waiting a few months to see if these lumps get smaller or even go away completely--sometimes that happens.  But please try not to worry too much--keep an eye on these areas, of course, but be reassured that you've already gotten some good news.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Breast lump after breast augmentation

+2

If your plastic surgeon suggested a general surgeon exam and evaluation, that is what I would do. I'm sure its probably nothing, however I would consider additional imaging, another mammogram, ultrasound or even MRI to rule anything out. You may be more "in-tune" with your self exam now that you have implants under the muscle, where your tissue is brought forward and you could be feeling things that have been there all along. It is common to have benign cysts in the breasts that feel similarly. 

Hayley Brown, MD

Lumps of breasts

+1

You did the right thing by seeing your plastic surgeon and following up with a general surgeon reagrding the lumps.

Feeling lumps or mass on your breast after implant augmentation surgery

+1

IT sounds as if appropriate care and management of your breasts are being administered. I have occasionally found that people with similar complaints are either: 1) feeling either the scar tissue path for placement of the implant which will resolve with time or 2) feeling the anterior implant valve on a saline implant

Breast Lumps Before and After Breast Implants

+1

I understand your concern.  I am glad that you have had a mammogram prior to your implant surgery.  I believe a good starting point is a consult wit a general surgeon and a repeat mammogram.  To ease your concerns,  it is very unusual to have symmetric masses that end as breast cancer but it is wise to have these areas investigated.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS