Lump in Between Breast Implant and Chest Wall

I'm not sure if my saline breast implants (under muscle) are related but after breastfeeding now for the past year, I've been having breast tenderness/soreness whenever i move my arms and my breast rubs on something inside. It feels like there is a lump in between my implants and chest wall. I can't feel a lump on my breast, just can feel it inside whenever i move a certain way, feels like my implants/tissue rubs against each other and "clicks". Any ideas? Went for an Ultrasound and nothing.

Always get lumps checked out

+2

Breast-feeding can cause contracture or internal scarring due to contamination with bacteria from the baby's mouth. This scarring is circumferential and causes the pocket to shrink and the breast to be sore. What you are feeling may be nodular scar tissue or even some sort of growth behind the breast which is difficult for ultrasound to pick up. If there is any question I would recommend talking to your doctor about an MRI.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lump Following Saline Breast Augmentation

+2

The lump that you are feeling after breast feeding is most likely unrelated to the implants.  It is most likely benign breast changes associated with breast feeding.  However, it is important that it be evaluated.  The fact that an ultrasound did not show anything should not end your work up.  You should be evaluated by an experienced breast surgeon for further workup, which would likely involve an MRI at this point.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Lump in breast

+1

If you feel a lump this should be carefully checked out.  An ultrasound is one test, but an MRI is more sensitive. 

Sensation of lump around breast implant augmentation

+1

I have found that tissue ingrowth into the valves can cause these type of symptoms. I would discuss with your plastic surgeon. The ultrasound at least offers some degree of reassurance.

A click, A mass and A breast implant

+1

Anytime there is a presumed breast mass then thorough investigation is warranted.  I am glad that you got an ultrasound but you may need to proceed to a mammogram and even an MRI if indicated.  A good physical exam by your operating plastic surgeon and you family physician is also necessary.  Your symptoms are not typical so complete evaluation is recommended.

Good Luck.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS