Lump and Smell 2 Months After Rhinoplasty?

Hello, I have had Rhinoplasty two months ago to remove a hump, straighten out the nose, and to slightly reduce the tip. Ever since, I have been experiencing a smell that comes and goes. Also, in the first few weeks yellow liquid was coming out of my nose. When I went for my two or three week check up the doctor noticed something in my nose but he decided not to poke it or pop it. A few weeks ago I noticed a lump inside of my nose. It is flesh colored and soft. Should I be worried?

Unusual Nasal Discharge And Inner Lump After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Yasmink,

The "yellow discharge" you had for two weeks after your rhinoplasty was performed is not a common sign. It could pretty much be a result of an infection; adding to that is the unusual intermittent smell you detect and lately the "flesh colored and soft" internal nasal lump.

I highly suspect an internal infection but without full and thorough nasal examination and knowing the smallest details of your surgery I cannot be sure of the cause behind what you have developed.

I encourage you to have your surgeon examine you because you want to catch an infection at the right time before it spreads and causes irreparable damage.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Persistent Lump and Smell 2 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, you should be worried. I don't know what was done at your operation, for example was an implant placed, but I'd be concerned about an underlying infection. You should see your surgeon for a evaluation and appropriate treatment.

Smell and discharge after rhinoplasty

+1

Having a purulent discharge for a first few weeks after rhinoplasty is not entirely normal. Sometimes, when a turbinate reduction or cauterization is performed with rhinoplasty, it is possible to see some fibrinous material mixed with purulence first 2 weeks or so.  I am usually fairly aggressive with debridement of this necrotic tissue and do so during the first postoperative visit on day 6-7.  Flesh colored lump inside the nose may be a turbinate remnant, or possibly an inflammatory tissue (granuloma). Another reason for the smell and discharge is an infection inside the nose/ sinuses. In any case, you should follow up with your surgeon to take care of this problem.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Smelly Rhino

+1

I am concerned about your persistent yellow liquid discharge.  A nasal infection or an infection of a sinus cavity would need appropriate cultures taken along with directed antibiotic treatment.  The smell you describe could be nasal debris or perhaps turbinate tissue.  Call your surgeon now and follow-up immediately.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes, this is not typical after Rhinoplasty and you should go back and see your Rhinoplasty Surgeon for evaluation and possible treatment.