Lumnaskin Vs Meladerm For Pigmentation Following IPL?

After getting laser therapy done to remove some sun spots, there is one area where coffee grounds appeared and sloughed off but there is still some pigment left and not sure if it's just me, but it seems like it's a little darker than before? I was doing some research and came across Lumnaskin as being the #1 product to help lighten sun spots, melasma, etc. Does this really work or is there something better? Lumnaskin or Meladerm. Which one is more effective?

IPL vs. Q-Switched Lasers

+1

Hi LWK.  If you are looking to remove more stubborn pigment (sun damage related) then an IPL is not the "big guns".  Q-switched lasers are the same type that remove tattoos and birthmarks so permanently removing pigment from sun damage is easy using these lasers.

If the pigment is from Melasma - very different than sun damage - then you would want to go with a high strength hydroquinone (HQ) product.  We use 8% medicated HQ pads in our practice.  Our pads do not contain Retin A so are much easier to use than products that do contain Retin A.  Hope this helps.

I've not seen great results from either

+1

Deep pigmentation will surface over the course of your IPL series. That's why a series of treatments is recommended. Some patients that have a lot of deep pigment will need additional treatments during the initial phase, i.e. 6-7 instead of the normal 4-5, as pigments will surface but will need further treatments to totally come to the surface and coffee ground. Rather than wasting money on these types of products (which I have never seen good results from), I would suggest you do another IPL or two. Additionally, don't forget that you will need follow-up maintenance treatments for IPL every 4-6 months to maintain results and continue to address new pigment and sun issues.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD