Are Lumineers or Braces a Better Choice for Fixing the Big Gap Between my Front Teeth?

Veneers or braces

+2

veneers, no matter how well constructed, are not permanent and can effect the health of teeth.  They are great if your teeth are abnormal to begin with (broken, small, stained, etc.) but they should not be a substitution for orthodontic correction if the teeth are realtively healthy and normal size...nothing is better than natural healthy teeth!

Saint Louis Orthodontist

Braces or Veneers to Close Spaces???

+1

There are many times when patients come seeking some type of cosmetic treatment (like Lumineers) to solve their dental problems.  When discussing treatment with a patient I always evaluate their bite and smile.  Sometimes braces are the more obvious choice, sometimes veneers will help close spaces without the need to do braces.  Go get a consutlation with a reputable orthodontist and find out what they recommend.  Ask them if you would be better served with some type of veneer treatment and ask for a referral to a great dentist to discuss these options.  Do your research.  Much success-

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Lumineers, closing gaps between teeth, Veneers

+1

Veneers can be used to close large spaces.  It is important to note that teeth look attractive based on proportion:

1) Proportion to each other

2) Proportion of width versus length

If you wish to close large spaces with veneers, it is often best to consider doing 6 - 8 veneers so that the space can be shared and moved "forward"  Othertimes, orthodontics or braces can be used to move the teeth together and perhaps leaving a space between the cuspid and bicuspid in the back which can then be veneered or bonded.

As for Lumineers, they are not a very esthetic product and will most likely create the appearance of large and bulky teeth.  In my opinion, there use is limited and there are more esthetic ways to create beautiful smiles.

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Lumineers for closing a gap.

+1

Braces are usually the least invasive way to close a gap. If you choose to use Lumineers, traditional veneers or bonding, you may wind up with two very large, wide teeth. If the gap is small and the rest of your teeth are in good alignment, try to close the gap without braces.

Mitchell A. Josephs, DDS
Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Closing a Big Space

+1

Both options have advantages and disadvantages. All else being equal, Braces (or Invisalign!) is a better choice because you are not altering the surface of the teeth or creating a restoration which needs maintainence. Also, If the space it too large, the Lumineers may be very wide and make the teeth look awkwardly square.

Deborah Petronio, DDS
East Aurora Cosmetic Dentist

Lumineers vs braces for a gap between the front teeth

+1

Braces or Lumineers ... which is best depends on several factors.  Among them are: the size of the gap, the bite, the size and appearance of the teeth, and other factors.  Some veneers permanently alter the teeth and thus may need to be replaced or repaired in the future.   So you can see that in order to make the right choice for an individual case it is best to get a consultation from your dentist, and also possibly an orthodontist, at which you can discuss all of the above factors. 

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

Fixing a Gap Between Front Teeth

+1

The solution for fixing a gap between the front teeth (diastema) is not always cut and dried. If the gap is your ONLY problem then veneers, Lumineers or bonding are all good solutions. If you have additional cosmetic concerns then braces might be considered. I do cosmetic dentistry AND braces in my office so I would not try to convince a patient of one method over the other. Things that need to be considered are: closing the space with braces will generally open space somewhere else if a diastema is your only problem. Or you  might be able to retract the teeth enough to not open space somewhere else but then you have to consider what retracting your teeth will do to the appearance of your face (pull teeth back, lip comes with them). There is also a retention consideration with closing a diastema with braces. The two teeth always want to go back to where they were, especially if you are an adult or have a low lip attachment (frenum). If you have a low frenum attachment you will need to surgically reattach it before moving teeth and you have to have some kind of permanent retention to keep the gap closed for the rest of your life. For all of these reasons, I prefer to fix diastemas (AGAIN, if this is your ONLY cosmetic problem) by either bonding or veneering the two front teeth.

Good luck!

Brad Lockhart, DDS
Tustin Cosmetic Dentist

Lumineers vs Braces

+1

First, I will say watch out for Lumineers.  I haven't seen a good case yet, but it could be done well.  Lumineers is only a brand of porcelain trying to market direct to the consumer.  An exceptional dentist/ceramist team can do exceptional work with it.  It is only appropriate for a narrow range of cases.  

If you fix your space with orthodontics, your problem will likely be retention.  If that space wants to be there, you'll have to be faithful to your retainers forever to keep it from coming back.  That said, if there are other orthodontic issues it would be nice to correct them too!  It would be great not to have to work on any teeth.

If the teeth are small and not too forward, prepless or minimal prep veneers (like lumineers) can be  a great option.  IF the conditions are right, you can close the space and not have to worry about retention.  

Again, you need an exceptional dentist and an exceptional ceramist to make this look right.  Choose wisely.

John

John Whittemore, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist