Are Lumineers the Best Dental Veneers?

I researching for veneers that improve my smile (chip teeth, gaps, yellowing, the works!). i read that many dentist offer a veneer called Lumnieers. On the lumnieer website it talks about how it's better becs its reversible and less pain since you dont get teeth shaved down. Can someone tell me if lumnieers are the best porcelain veneer?

Are Lumineers the Best Dental Veneers?

+5

There are MANY different types of porcelain veneers.

Lumineers are one brand name. They are a type of veneer that's promoted for a no-preparation of the teeth technique. I really feel that's it's more of an advertising concept to say they are "reversible". One advantage is that they don't need to have any or much trimming of the teeth, so they could be less sensitive. Some other veneers need more preparation of the teeth and for some patients that can produce some cold sensitivity.

The answer to what's the BEST type of veneer is really a different question...what's the best porcelain veneer for YOU. For some patients Lumineers can work and work well, but there are a lot of limitations so they really don't work well for everyone. If you are wanting to improve your chips, your gaps between your teeth and to get a whiter smile, then first find a cosmetic dentist that you really connect with. Explain what type of results you are hoping for. Then the cosmetic dentist can help determine the best porcelain veneers for you.

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Choosing the best veneer

+4

In some situations, Lumineers may be the best choice. They are not some magical new and improved miracle material, but simply a registered trademarked thin porcelain shell.

What needs to be considered is the current situation and the goal. If the teeth are currently crooked and very dark in color, then probably not. But if your teeth are nice and straight and close to the shade of white that you desire, then they can be a nice choice.

There are many alternatives when choosing porcelain veneers. The greatest resource is an experienced clinician that can help you decide what is best for you.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Only when used in the proper situation

+3

Lumineers are thin ceramic shells that are placed over teeth that have not been prepared to receive them. It is a conservative procedure in theory, however in most cases the teeth appear bulky and are what is referred to as “over-contoured.”

The ramifications of over-contoured teeth, aside from them being unaesthetic, are the fact that it is unhealthy for the gum tissues that support the teeth. I often see irritated or inflamed gum tissue around teeth that are bulky or over-contoured. This may result in gum disease which can lead to periodontal disease (destruction of the structures that support the teeth).

The good news is that if diagnosed properly and only used in the proper situation, Lumineers are a conservative approach to whitening, straightening, or simply enhancing the aesthetics of teeth.

The reality is that only a very small percentage of patients would be well served with this procedure due to its tendency to leave the teeth over contoured, bulky and quite unaesthetic.

More good news is that traditional veneers when done properly are a beautiful conservative and health way to enhance the smile.

So, no excuses to not smile, smile, smile!

Ryan Sellinger, DMD
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Lumineers the best?

+2

Lumineers is a good marketing campaign.  A ceramic company markets their porcelain direct to the public and then charges dentists to be in the program to get referrals from their advertising campain.  There are scores if not hundreds of different brands of porcelain out on the market.  THe truth is in some cases (most) it is impossible to get a good esthetic result without some tooth reduction.  Look very closely at the before and after photos of any dentist you are considering using.  Do the teeth look "real" or like chicklets.  Prepless veneers or porrly done veneers as well can often look very opaque and are known in the business as chicklets.  The best porcelain on the market right now I believe ie eMAX made by ivoclar.  It is 4 times stronger than the othe porcelains.  I have put in hundreds and not one has broken yet.  The future of the industry is in eMAX according to many of the technicians I have spoken with.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Short answer is NO

+2

As with everything in life, there is always two sides to each story.  With regard to Lumineers yes it's true that they are "reversible" (although not easy to remove) and that it is less trauma to teeth if you don't have them shaved down.  But the ultimate goal of veneers is to make your teeth look better and unfortunately in many cases, Lumineers can actually make your teeth look worse and fake looking.  Don't get me wrong though, I've done hundres of Lumineer case and countless other brands as well.  I have some Lumineer cases that I'm very proud of and some that I wish I had prepped the teeth slightly and would have had a much better esthetic result.  So the bottom line is have an experienced cosmetic dentist with experience in both Lumineers and other types of veneers look at your teeth closely and tell you what your best options are.

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Cosmetic Dentist

Non prep porcelain veneers, cosmetic dentistry

+2

I totally concur with the responses from the other dentist.  A point to consider, every single cosmetic dentistry case is different.  Lumineers are not the answer for every case, and in fact are probably not a good solution in most cases.  If your teeth are inclined toward the tongue, or if you have small teeth then a non-prep porcelain veneer case may be indicated.  Other factors include the shade of the teeth.  

I personally prefer other types of non-prep veneers over Lumineers which do not look natural in most cases. The newer types of non-prep veneers allow for layering of shades and translucency to be integrated into the veneer.

If you are considering any type of veneers, ask the dentist you are seeing to show you close up photos of his or her work.  Ask what he or she recommends of you.  If you are not sure then a mock work up can be done in the mouth so you can see what it will look like before you commit.  Hope this information helps.

Ronald W. Konig DDS, FAGD, LVIF

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Lumineers Are The Way To Go! Maybe!

+2

From where a patient is coming from Lumineers are the way to go! It is the ideal way to achieve a beautiful smile, without pain, or shots and it is totally reversible. There is no reduction of the tooth. If you have small teeth and spaces between them, this would work for you. If you already have large teeth and crowding, your teeth will have a tendency to look bulky and too large for your mouth.

Veneers, on the other hand, require reduction of the tooth which is permanent, and the prep can require shots and be painful. You always have the option of using oral sedation. You will have less anxiety and consequently less pain.

Make sure you consult at least two cosmetic dentists who are familiar with both procedures and offer both lumineers, vivaneers and veneers in their practice!

Robert Fields, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Lumineers not the best veneers by far!

+2

The idea of doing no prep veneers (not removing enamel) is the only good thing about Lumineers and even that has limited applications. Even if you look at the professional brochures put out by the Lumineer manufacturers the untrained eye can see that they are bulkier than the natural teeth.

However, my biggest complaint is that the quality of the porcelain is poor. It doesn't have the life like quality of other feldspathic porcelains. Even if a patient insists on a no prep veneer I recommend using a better porcelain than a Lumineer.

Joseph W. Worthington, DDS
Fairfield Cosmetic Dentist

Lumineers

+1
Lumineers is just one of the brands who offers thin veneers. There are quite a few of them. What works best for you would be determined by your dentist. Thin veneers work best when there is not much prep needed on teeth due to their perfect arrangement. Your dentist will anyways prep only as much as needed in either case.

Natwarlal Tibrewal, BDS
Leeds Cosmetic Dentist

Lumineers vs Traditional Porcelain Veneers

+1

There are different types of veneers. Each type is used based on the individual case.

The main drawbacks to Lumineers are they tend to be bulky since they are of the no preparation variety. These tend to not look quite right under close examination due to bulkiness. Hygiene is also an issue with these as well.

Traditional porcelain veneers tend to be more cosmetic and reflect light properly when done correctly from a high end laboratory.

Marielaina Perrone, DDS
Henderson Cosmetic Dentist