What to Do Against a Lowering Upper Eyelid in Outer Corner of Eyes?

The outer corner of my upper eyelid is set in a very downward direction. Even so the my eyelashes cover part of the sclera in the outer corner of my eyes. Applying mascara only makes matters worse and make my eyes look even smaller. Is there anything I can do to fix this? What causes this? People say it makes me look like I'm tired. Is it causes by the orbital bones or the muscles? I would like to have open looking larger eyes. What can I do?

Outer eyelid hooding

+2

What you describe can either be the result of ptosis where the eyelid itself droops or from the weight of the skin pushing down on the lid itself. Either situation is correctible given the correct diagnosis. I would see consultation with a facial plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon in your area.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Canthoplasty and ptosis surgery

+2

Without looking at your photo, it sounds like you either have upper lid ptosis (droopy) and/or antimongloid slant to lateral canthus.  They are usually congenital, but can get worse with age. These can be addressed by upper lid ptosis surgery and canthoplasty, respectively.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy outer eyelids

+2

Drooping of the eyelids can be cause by many factors.  The eyelid is held up by a complex array of tendons and muscles that give it its characteristic shape.  Sometimes portions of this system get stretched out or lose elasticity and the eyelid droops. An oculoplastic surgeon can evaluate your eyelid shape and determine what can be done to raise it or change the overall shape.  Often, a surgery through the upper eyelid crease can be performed to shorten or tighten these connections selectively to open up the outer eyelid and remove any redundant skin.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Photos would be helpful.

+1

What you are describing may be due to a heavy outer brow, upper eyelid ptosis, or lateral canthal dystopia [droopy outer corner of the eyelids].

Each of these conditions have very different surgical treatments.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid issues

+1

Without an in-office exam it is difficult to say exactly what is the issue but it does sound like you have upper lid hooding most likely from lateral brow descent. If this is the case, it can often be corrected.