Will Lowering my Alar Rim and Widening the Base Improve my Nose's Aesthetics?

My alar rim has always been retracted, and I hate it. I feel like it throws off my whole nose, making it look stubby, and the tip look as if it is upturned when viewed from the front. I'm a male, and feel like my nose is too feminine. Would you recommend widening the alar base too, in addition to lowering the alar rim? Based on the picture does it look like my expectations are plausible? Finally, How much would the corrections cost? (I live in Vancouver, Canada)

Lowering of the Alar Rim and Widening of the Nose in Rhinoplasty, Nose Surgery

+2

Hi,

Based on your comments and review of your photographs, you are a candidate for both lowering of the alar rim and elevating the columella.

This can be done with some small graft from your nose. The procedure does make a nice difference, if done properly.

From the limited views, you may not need widening of the ala. More views are needed for precise diagnosis.

Please be careful and avoid placing filler injection in the nose as it can cause permanent and irreversible changes and damage your tissues.

Most importantly, please see a Board Certified Rhinoplasty Surgeon with passion for getting the best possible result for you.

Hope this was helpful.

Dr. Sajjadian

Lowering alar rim and widening base to improve aesthetics of nose

+1

Nasal aesthetics are very personal in nature. Everybody has different artistic and aesthetic goals regarding their nose. Alar retraction is best treated with composite skin grafts (composed of both skin and cartilage) from the ear in order to bring the alar rims downward. In addition to that, the gap between the alar rim and the columella is closed by trimming the caudal end of the septum and the membranes from the internal portion of the nose. This also shortens the nose slightly. The cost for a rhinoplasty ranges from $5,800.00 to $7,000.00 depending upon complexity of the rhinoplasty. This includes the operating room, anesthesia, and facility fee. Feel free to visit our website at seattlefacial.com. You can also do your own computer imaging on our site on the face touchup section.

Lower Alar Rim and Increasing Width of Nasal Base

+1

You should lower the alar rim with a cartilage graft with or without additional skin lining, and slightly raise the columella. You do not need tto increase the width of the nasal base. Cost will depend on exactly what is done and the surgeon you select.

Alar rim treatment

+1

Lowering the alar rim is difficltl to do and often requires grafting.  As for widening of the nose at the base, that can be done marginally with release of soft tissues around the base. 

The correction that you seek is very hard

+1

You have a good result from Rhinoplasty and I am sorry that you are not happy. Second surgery always harder and less predictable. The alar rim retraction is the hardest to fix since there is tissue missing and it is hard to push it down . I have used ear cartilage as a graft to act as spacer to push the rim down ,but results are not 100%.I would like to know how long ago was your last rhinoplasty.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

A well-performed Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty may lower your retracted alar rims.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed your photos. You could have your alar rims lowered with carefully placed Injectable Fillers. My experience and preference of fillers is Silikon-1000 for permanent results. You should consult a board-certified physician experienced in the art of using fillers in your nose.

All the best from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lowering the alar rim in rhinoplasty.

+1

You don't need the base widened. You can achieve what you want by grafting the ala or elevating the columella. The tip can be refined and the bump filed down. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to advise you as to your options. The cost depends on the skill and experience of the surgeon and is usually $8-10,000.

Lowering my alar rim and widening the base

+1

Thanks for the photos but very hard to diagnose your issues. Seek 2 opinions. But what you ask can be done for a range of $5,000. Best of Luck from MIAMI Dr. B