Is It Possible to Lower Tummy Tuck Scar and Fix Belly Button?

I had a Tummy Tuck 14 mos ago. The actual flatness of my stomach is good; however, much more important to me is how it appears.

The scar is way too high and literally hangs out of 99% of my clothes, including my suit. The scar also is an odd shape with my belly button looking far from natural.

I would like to see if there is any possible way to correct by lowering scar and make my belly button look somewhat natural but my skin is now very tight, I am not sure if this is even a possibilty. This impacts me everyday.

Not now

+5

I see your concern. The scar is irregular, and in a less than optimal position. The umbilicus is similiarly, suboptimal in its outcome.

I believe it will be fairly easy to improve the navel. The transverse scar is another story. You will need to wait until the skin is no longer tight. Secondly, the scar beneath the skin/fat will reduce the amount that the skin can be pulled down.

My opinion is that the scar can be revised and straightened, and maybe even brought down a bit, but it will likely always be higher than ideal.

sek

High Scar From Tummy Tuck

+3

First I'm sorry to see such a scar. There really is no reason to put the incision this high. As far as correcting it it's almost impossible. It's difficult to see the scar but it may be possible to redo it and decrease the appearance. This should be possible for belly button as well.

But scar revisions are not perfect. I think you would get an improvement but it will never be perfect.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with abdominoplasty scar

+3

It seems as though your scar is in fact quite high. Since you are only one year out from your procedure and describe that your abdomen skin is very tight, it would be quite impossible to lower your scar at this time. I agree that lasers can help improve the coloration and thickness of the scar. Once the skin loosens, you will certainly be a candidate for a revision.

In terms of the belly-button, if there is a little looseness to the skin just around the belly button, it would be possible to revise that scar. I'm sorry that this procedure has impacted you in a negative way and hope that you will be able to get some correction soon. Good luck Kendall.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Revision tummy tuck

+3

Kendall,

Your scars are indeed suboptimal in position and character. Revision tummy tuck is an option to improve the scars, but you would need to wait until the abdominal wall skin relaxes more before considering this. Also, your tattoo would need to be at least partially removed. The belly button scar could be revised at any time. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Tough situation

+3

The tightness you feel means there is no extra skin that would allow you to revise the surgery and maybe move the scar down slightly. So the scar is locked in. The belly button looks odd because of the hole that was cut in the skin to bring it out. Maybe it could be revised a bit if there is any laxity around it.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Bad news and good news

+3

Unfortunately, your incision line is quite high on your abdomen. With the tautness of your skin, it would be impossible to lower your scar. However, your incision is still red and this can potentially be treated with a V Beam laser. If the redness was gone the scar may become inconspicuous. Regarding your belly button, it is possible to revise it to give it a more natural look.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

Scar

+3

Your scar does look rather high and your skin looks quite tight.  That said, I think it would be rather difficult to surgically lower the scar.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD

Lowering a high tummy tuck scar (abdominoplasty)

+2

It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to lower your scar at this point. There are some options but these are not practical. This would involve a multiple procedures with an initial stage of placement of a tissue expander to stretch the skin immediately above the scar (similar to pregnancy) and create sufficient laxity to remove the scar and place it at a lower location.