Is Lower Lid Blepharoplasty Right for Me? (photo)

I am 23 years old and have always disliked the drooping under my eyes. I feel like it really takes away from my entire face, and causes my cheekbones to be lower than they should be as well. It is something I have always had, and no amount of concealer can cover the drooping I see. Would lower lid blepharoplasty be right for me? I would like a permanent fix, rather than temporary fillers and injections (unless I am too young or not a good person to get blepharoplasty). Thank you!

Tear trough abnormality in a young patient is treated by fillers not surgery.

+2

The picture demonstrates a youthful I with some shadowing in the groove between the nose in the orbit. This can be filled in quite easily with filler. Surgery is not indicated that the present time.

Lower Eyelid Rejuvenation

+2

Aesthetic lower eyelid procedures (blepharoplasty) are best performed on patients with excess skin or bulging fat below their eyes. This is often seen as wrinkly skin or bags beneath the eyes. By tightening the skin and removing the excess fat, the eyes will look refreshed and rejuvenated. Often times, excess skin and fat is not the problem and patients present with hollowing of the upper cheek area. This hollowing can contribute to looking aged and tired. Filling these hollows (tear troughs) with a filler such as belotero or fat can improve the overall aesthetic appearance without surgery. It appears by the pictures, that you would most likely benefit from a filler to the tear trough region. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine the best treatment option for you. Good Luck!

Scott Farber, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Lower blepharoplasty vs filler injections

+2

The under eye area is very hollow and you would really benefit from filler injections into this area. Make sure you find a doctor who is experienced with this procedure.

The most common downside to the procedure is bruising, but I suspect you will notice a big improvement and it will be well worth it. I prefer Restylane in the under eye area, but other doctors may prefer different fillers. The results often last several years, as Restylane seems to be absorbed very slowly in this area. Best wishes.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery for hollow areas

+2

Cosmetic lower eyelid surgery is best for patients who have extra fat or extra skin beneath their eyes. You have neither of these and regular eyelid surgery is not be your best option. Filling the hollows beneath the orbital bone is a better to improve your appearance. This is generally done with a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm. It may also be done with your own fat but still may need more than one treatment. Fat transfer may also have more complications since there is a process to harvest the fat. Please talk to surgeon who is familiar with both fat transfer and injectable fillers such as Juvederm and you will get the best advice. Good luck.

William LoVerme, MD

Lower eyelid surgery

+2

From your photos I think lower eyelid surgery may not be a good idea.  You have prominent beautiful eyes and if anything you can conservatively place a filler under the eye areas to help.....I would consider this before surgery...Dr. Boxrud

Cynthia Boxrud, MD
Santa Monica Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid blepharoplasty

+1

The primary goal of lower  eyelid surgery is removal of herniated fat bags which create the puffy look. The fat bags are removed through a trans-conjunctival approach on the inside of the eyelids. Excess skin can be removed when necessary, by a pinch technique on the lower lids along the lash line. This incision is closed with Histocryl tissue glue. Expect two weeks of bruising and swelling for your recovery period.