Lower Facelift to Improve Mouth Shape and Slight Sagging?

I have a down-turned mouth and very slight sagging around my lower face. Would a lower facelift improve my mouth shape and remove slight sagging? I think I'm quite young to be considering this (I'm 36), but my mouth is starting to worry me.

Mouth Shape & Sagging

+2

A lower facelift does not significantly enhance the overall shape of the commissures of the mouth. It is improved, but not totally corrected. One must correct this by doing a “Lift & Fill” facelift, along with augmenting the areas with fat injections and resurfacing with laser if the lines are deep.

Downturned Mouth

+2

A facelift is not designed to change the shape of the mouth (nor should it be).  A stretched mouth appearance is a poor aesthetic result which can lead to some functional issues.  The downturned mouth is typically best approached by a combination of Botox and facial fillers and occasionally a localized surgical procedure.  A patient in their 30's is unlikely to be a candidate for a facelift.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options to improve mouth shape and slight sagging

+2

I would recommend an evaluation with a plastic surgeon who can take your unique anatomy into consideration. You might, in fact, be a candidate for surgery sooner than most people. However, another viable option might be either Botox or a combo of Botox and fillers with hyaluronic acid (the so-called liquid facelift).

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Lower Facelift to Improve Mouth Shape

+1

Dear Sam007 - considering your age and the issues that concern you I would definitely try fillers first.  A facelift will not address the corners of your mouth and fillers do a wonderful job for that problem. 

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

It might not help!

+1

You are definitely young by your own admission.  Often times at this age, nonsurgical options are first offered to try and help with a downturn of the mouth, such as Botox or fillers.  With early jowling and good skin, very focused liposuction can help.  Unfortunately you have not included any pictures of your face from the front in repose, so it is difficult to really tell you much more.  A skilled, board-certified facial plastic surgery specialist can give you a good set of options to help address your concerns.

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Lower facelift at age 36 years

+1

With the amount of sagging (very slight) you describe I would very much hesitate to recommend a surgical procedure. You need to talk with your surgeon (or get a second opinion) about alternatives. The downturn of the mouth may very well be able to be improved with some form of filler to "lift" the corners. Radiesse, Juvederm etc., are all quite good for this but be sure you go to a physician experienced in filler techniques and stay away from non-physician injectors. Also, the mild sagging you describe may be amenable to tightening with various laser techniques (Fraxel re:Pair if you also need to resurface the skin for age or sunspots, enlarged pores, fine wrinkles, etc; Thermage which is just for tightening but can be painful, and laser assisted liposculpture to remove fat under the chin and neck but also tighten and define the neck and jawline; etc) Again, you need to consult with a surgeon experienced in the techniques described above and who will give you an honest opinion after ascertaining your goals and expectations as to whether any of these procedures can meet those goals.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Facelift @ Age 36

+1

Although we treat the face, not the age of the patient, it is unusual to do a facelift at  age 36. Fillers and other less invasive techniques may be more appropriate at this time. Without pictures it is difficult to make suggestions other than recommending you see an honest, experienced surgeon.  

Midface lift.

+1

Hi!

You don't sound like a good candidate for a conventional lower facelift (does nothing to the mouth).

You may be a great candidate for a scarless midface lift, which is done through the mouth, and which definitely lifts the corners of your mouth.  Younger women do very well with this technique.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

It is best to discuss this with your surgeon.

+1

Without photos it is only a guess as to what you need at this time. Some patients your age can be treated with fillers, etc. while others need a good facelift. See an experienced facelift surgeon who turns down some patients for surgery and will give you an honest opinion.