Lower Face Lift Dropped?

I've just found out my lower face lift has dropped and muscles that were sewn up, fallen. I'm so depressed about it as I had nerve damage for 12 months and am only getting the full use if my face back! The opp was 1.5 years ago and I'm being sent in for an ultrasound and then possible revision. Any advice? I'm petrified ill get more nerve damage!

Non surgical facelift options for revision

+1

A non surgical facelift option is Ulthera, which can tighten the lower face SMAS without downtime or recovery.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Lower Face Lift Dropped?

+1

Thank you for your question. As long as your nerve function is returned, then see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation, and determine if the muscles were tightened initially, or if it was just a skin lift. Then develop a plan for the future.  I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

With facial nerve injury patience & time is a great healer

+1

The facial nerve and its branches (provide movement to various parts of the face) as well as the Great Auricular nerve (provides sensation to the back of neck and ear) can be injured during surgery albeit rarely.

There are two types of injury:

1. The nerve is severed or cut through. This can permanent and devastating consequences. It needs to be recognized by the surgeon immediately and corrected. Thankfully very rare.

2. The nerve is stretched or swollen. This is more common and results in weakness in the face or numbness behind the ear. Steroids can help but the biggest help is time and the healing that comes with it.

Therefore it would be advisable to wait a little longer before undergoing anymore surgery. Even though it has been over a year for you, waiting out for two years may be best.

Kamran Jafri, MD

Lower face droop

+1

If you had never damage and things are returning then I would advise you to wait thing out. You can consider a revision after your nerve returns stabilize. Good luck.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Please be patient.

+1

Nerve regeneration can be a very slow process. Oral Vitamin B6 often is of assistance. Please be patient and wait until your facial mimic function has returned completely before you consider any additional surgery. Facial expression exercises are often helpful. Next, get a copy of your operative report to determine exactly what type of Facelift was performed. This can make a significant difference in determining the best corrective surgical procedure. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Nerve injury and revision facelift

+1

If your nerve function is improving you would not want anything else putting strain on the nerve while it is healing. Give it more time to do so. 

Lower Facelift Dropped after 1.5 years

+1

It would be helpful to know which parts of your face did not move.  Also, you need an exam to determine if full function has returned.  If it has not but has improved, allow another 6 months before considering another surgery.  If the facelift is falling, this may be due to inherent tissue laxity not technical failure.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Facelift

+1

It is encouraging that your nerve function is coming back and hopefully you will get full function. Meanwhile while your nerve is recovering, ther should be no surgical intervention.

Once completely recovered then consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery).

Share with us the qualifications of your surgeon