I Have Had Lower Eyelid Surgery, 3wks Now and Still Red and Scarred, what Can I Do? (photo)

i had lower and upper eyelid surgery on the 15th of november, 2011....my upper lids are still red but are coming along.....with makeup i can see an indentation where the scar is......the lower lid the scar is more visible and even more so with makeup....i had to take an extra 2 wks off work.....what is the advise for me....i was told that i would return to work looking like i was relaxed....instead i am super stressed as its soo visible......please help. my surgeon is brushing me off.

I personally try to avoid the infracillary incision in the lower eyelid whenever possible.

+2

Heather

In many ways, you are recovering from a very typical eyelid surgery.  Personally I do not care for where the upper eyelid incisions were made and I completely agree with you that the lower eyelid incisions are unacceptably prominent.  Your plastic surgeon is blowing you off because probably all of his/her post op patients look like this.  Also he knows something you don't:  with enough time it is very likely that many of the issues you are not happy with will calm down and be much less obvious or perhaps not even noticeable.  I think you will heal with incomplete resolution of your concerns.  What you do at that point will very much depend on how much these post surgical features bother you.  The most important thing to get is that it is likely that your surgeon does not understand your concerns.  HIs paradigm of what eyelid surgery should do and look likely is different that your paradigm of what surgery should accomplish: Apple and oranges.  Let your eyelids heal but don't expect your surgeon to get or fix what concerns you here.  I am not saying this is ideal.  I am just trying to save you extreme personal frustration because your plastic surgeon does not seem to be interested in your concerns.  It is not that he or she is not interested.  It is that what you see as a problem, they see as their best work.  That is a difficult gap to overcome.  Unfortunately there is no magic way of speeding up the healing process and there is no way to know at this point if these concerns will resolve sufficiently on their own for you to ultimately be satisfied with your surgical result.  Hope that helps. 

You will be fine

+1
You had surgery two weeks ago and your incisions are not healed yet. You should try Mederma for the incisions. We do not have your pre op pictures and no full face post op. You have trusted your surgeon to operate on you and you should not lose your trust yet. Let your surgeon know about your concerns and wait till you healed before judging the results.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Some patients stay red for longer

+1

I agree with Dr. Steinsapir that at least in younger patients the lower eyelid incision is often not necessary. When it is needed, it usually fades in a couple of weeks at most. Occasionally some patients will stay red longer, but that is just a slower healing process. It will fade with time. Sun exposure can keep a wound red, so try to stay out of the sun or cover up with a hat.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid scarring

+1
The issue with respect to your scar is that it was not placed in the eyelid margin but below it. That said, I would not stress out unless and until the scar does not fade, which should begin to occur gradually over time. I personally do not see why this would have required an additional 2 week absence from work. In the meantime, I would suggest Dermablend or another camouflage cosmetic which you can obtain in a department store, together with instructions on how to apply it properly.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Prominent lower lid bleph scars at 3 weeks

+1

Your pics show a recovery that is within the normal range.  The redness may persist for many weeks.

What you can do now to help is to apply scar creams to facilitate fading of the scar (silicone, Mederma, etc.).  Massage of the scar per your surgeons instructions can soften it, and reduce visibility.

Many higher end mall stores have cover make up that will take care of it.

In the mean time, for your own sanity, stop thinking of the scar so much.  It will take its own time to settle in, and it looks like you will get a great result.

Perhaps you should take a different approach completely.  Go everywhere without makeup.  Proudly announce that you had a blepharoplasty, and you feel great about it.  What the heck, the secrets you keep own you.

Scott E. Kasden, MD