Two Months Post-Op Lower Eyelid Surgery, Fat Removal. What Are These Bumps And Ridges On Site?

I have had traditional (not laser) lower eyelid surgery (incision / fat removal) and it is two months post -op. The problem is thast I too have bumps and ridges at the surgical site that are not resolving much. Scar tissue? Stiches resolving? Another surgery to remove it? It is very frustrating as it looks like I still have small bags/puffiness. They feel fairy firm to touch.. Thank You!!

Bumps on blepharoplasty incision

+2

By two months after surgery, most of the small contour irregularities associated with swelling and early healing should be nearly resolved.  Occasionally, you may experience some bumpiness if absorbable stitches are used right under your skin, and this will resolve as the stitches continue to dissolve.  Some people develop small white cysts along the scar line as the wound heals, and these will either resolve spontaneously or may be removed by your surgeon very easily.  I encourage you to continue to massage your scars 2-3 times per day, and to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still in the early stages of healing, and I expect that things will continue to improve over the next months.

Dr. Skourtis

I recommend you bring these issues to the attention of your surgeon.

+2

At two months, things should be looking pretty good.  The fact that they are not so good is an issue.  Let your surgeon assess you.  You may need a small revisional procedure if the lid does not improve.

Not unsual

+2

The "ridges" and/or "bumps" are not unusual result from the eyelid sutures. It will continue to fade over time. Sometimes one of the bumps may be a small cyst that can be "unroofed". Follow up with a surgeon, but don't jump to do anything surgical for up to a year.

Massage may help accelerate the flattening of the ridges. In addition, your surgeon may consider steroid or 5FU injections.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon