Will Lower Eyelid Surgery Help with my Wrinkles Under the Eyes and my Bags? (photo)

I was looking in to getting lower lid surgery and I wanted to know if it helps with wrinkles and bags under my eyes?

Lower lid surgery

+1

is great for large bags.  Your photos shows smaller bulges and a youthful face.  Examined your motivations and see a local surgeon for options that should include resurfacing, exfoliants such as Retin A, and even surgery.  Best wishes!

Bags and wrinkles under eyes

+1

Hello jkaclark123

I agree with the other opinions that lower eyelid surgery could help this problem, or, seeing as you appear to be quite young, a number of different factors could make non-surgical options more realistic. Fillers or laser may very well be the best treatment for you, and there are a few different types of these available.

The best way to make a decision is to see a reputeable Specialist Plastic Surgeon. That way you can get opinions from a skilled qualified surgeon who has the training and expertise to help guide you appropriately.

I practice in Australia, but my opinion holds for the USA just as well.

I wish you well.

Mark Edinburg, MBBCH, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Transconjunctival blepharoplasty and fat grafting of the nasojugal folds

+1

Hi jkaclark.  Your picture is not the best, but from what I see you would have a nice improvement with a transconjunctival blepharoplasty and fat grafting of the nasojugal folds.  That combination would blend the border between your lower eyelids and cheek.  I suggest you see a plastic surgeon for a discussion of your options.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

May try non-surgical options first

+1

You have several options to improve the appearance of your lower eyelids

1. Soft tissue fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane
  2. Microablative fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing
  3. Lower eyelid blepharoplasty with repositioning of the herniated orbital fat

Eyelid Surgery Blepharoplasty

+1

You look very young from the photo to have or need lower eyelid surgery and the photo is not ideal to evaluate things but something more conservative like filler to even out the high and low points and a chemical peel may be far more appropriate. See a board certified  surgeon in your area with an expertise in aesthetic  surgery for more information. Good luck!

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Deficient volume is the reason for your bags

+1

Your picture is not the best but it is apparent that you are rather young and do not have the typical appearance of someone with a lot of sun damage and loose skin. The dark bags under your eyes are due to the rather thin skin in the lower lids and a lack of tissue volume between the skin and the underlying vasculature. This prominent vasculature can be genetic in nature or a result of allergies. Regardless of the cause a variety of remedies are possible. These include hyaluronic acid fillers, fat injection, fat transposition or SOOF lifts through a lower lid blepharoplasty results. A consultation with a surgeon well versed in these procedures will help you decide which procedure is the correct procedure for you. Hope this helps and good luck!

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower lids

+1

jkaclark, Your photo is not the best but from what I can see you may be a candidate for lower lid surgery or fillers. Fat should not in my opinion be removed from the lower eyelid in most patients unless their bags are familial. Repositioning the SOOF fat to the depression below the lower lid works much better. This is because the SOOF fat used to be right underneath the lower lid and with time migrates lower in the face so by lifting this fat we are simply putting the anatomy of the lower lid back to its youthful position. As the originator of the "SOOF lift blepharoplasty" I have been doing nothing but this approach for over 15 years with excellent results. I normally use a transconjunctival approach but a subciliary approach can also be used if the patient has excessive redundancy of lower lid skin and/or muscle (a significant minority of patients). Good luck and hope this helps your decision. 

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid lifts will help bags and wrinkles

+1

Bags under the eye and dark circles are the result of fat pads protruding from around the eye and wrinkles are usually from loose skin. Most commonly these changes are age related commonly starting in the 30's and progressively worsening with time.  Less commonly changes can occur in younger age groups.  Certainly a nonsurgical option such as a filler material are an option to simulate possible surgical outcomes, and it is only temporary.  I perform fat transposition lower eyelid lifts which preserve the existing fat and repositions and contours the fat to result in a more aesthetically pleasing and youthful position.  There is no age limit for surgery and if the above changes are occurring the surgery can be offered much earlier in life.  I suggest consulting with a double board certified surgeon who has extensive training and experience in faces and eyelids for the best recommendations to customize a plan to give you the best results.  In short, yes, a surgery can help the issues that are bothering you.

Benjamin Stong, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not the best photo.

+1

Given your issue such as they are demonstrated in the photo, you might do well with a lower eyelid chemical peel.  Possibly all you need is lower eyelid fillers.  Plan on consulting more than one surgeon when you are ready to get help.  Listen carefully to what is being recommended.  Don't immediately fall in love with a particular surgeon.  Less is more.

Will Lower Eyelid Surgery Help with my Wrinkles Under the Eyes and my Bags?

+1

Although lower eyelid surgery can help with wrinkles under the eyes and bags, you appear very young.  It is a bit difficult to evaluate the anatomy from the single image, but a filler to the tear trough is less invasive and may help blend a couple of areas of concern.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA