Puffiness After Lower Eyelid Sugery

I had lower eyelid surgery and this is day 10 now. The lower eyelids seem firm and painful to the touch which I understand. The puffiness looks like water or fat to me. Did the Dr messed it up? What is the this puffiness or swelling, is it common? By the the way is not painful to the touch. thanks.

Puffiness after lower eyelid surgery may last a long time

+1

Puffiness after lower eyelid surgery may last a long time and could just be swelling. Give it some more time and then heck back with your doctor if you feel the initial swelling has gone down and yet you are still experiencing puffiness.  There may be more fat that needs to be removed, or it may be fluid.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Puffiness and bruising are normal 10 days after lower eyelid surgery

+1

Ten days is very early after eyelid surgery.  Swelling, bruising and hardness are normal.  Keep your head elevated, use warm compresses and minimize physical activity to speed up your recovery.  Speak with your surgeon so that he can be aware of your concerns and reassure you.  Good luck!

Dr. Parham Ganchi - NJ Plastic Surgeon - www.ganchi.com

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Lower Eyelid Recovery

+1

As many of the other physicians on this panel have indicated, the puffiness you are seeing is normal even at day 10 and it is fluid and not fat.  Everyone heals differently and healing is not symmetrical on each side of the face.  It seems to me that men also tend to take longer for the bruising and swelling to subside than women. 

You should see your surgeon so he can examine you and reassure you that this is all normal and part of the healing process.  You will not see your final result for close to 3 months or more as this is how long it takes for all the swelling to totally dissipate. The process is so gradual that you will not even notice it until one day you look in the mirror and realize the healing is complete.  After this time if you still have concerns about your result you will want to see your surgeon again with those concerns.

Arnold Zweig, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

10 days post-op is too soon to judge the result of your lower blepharoplasty surgery

+1

You appear to have excessive swelling of your lower eyelid. Does the left side look the same? You should bring this to the attention of your surgeon for an examination and reassurance. Lower eyelid skin is very thin and sensitive so it may take a few more weeks for this swelling to settle down.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Puffiness after Lower Lid Surgery

+1

Every surgery is accompanied by inflammation and swelling which manifest as puffiness. This is true with surgery everywhere in the body. Because the lower lid skin is among the thinnest ski in the body ANY changes in he lower lid are much more obvious. You appear to demonstrate changes seen after some lower lid procedure and these will get better.

Personally, I am disappointed when patient's first response is :"Did the Dr messed it up?"  It describes a mistrusting, lawsuit-happy attitude that has no place in a normal patient-doctor relationship. Before feeling victimized and assuming it is the doctor's fault, a patient should first educate her/himself and keep all communication channels open. After all, you picked and trusted this doctor with your well-being. Why begin to mistrust him now?

Your swelling is within the range of normal

+1

It's very common for male patients to have swelling that can persist up to three weeks after surgery. Best thing to do is to utilize warm compresses and keep your head elevated when sleeping at night. Many of my patients also utilize Arnica and Bromelain to help the bruising dissipate a little faster.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

You have normal swelling

+1

You have more than usual swelling and you need to wait. Please check with your doctor and follow his instructions. Warm compress may be helpful.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Puffiness after lower lid blepharoplasty

+1

It is very common to have variable degrees of lower eyelid swelling for at least two weeks after lower eyelid surgery. In some cases, it can persist for three weeks. Also, firmness is very common depending upon what type of approach or procedure was used to perform the blepharoplasty. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid surgery

+1

Way too early in the healing phase for your concerns. Time will correct most if not all you issues. Sounds like you had a very poor informed consent. Discuss with your surgeon.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Very normal after Bleph

+1

There does not appear to be anything wrong with your surgery from what I can see.  There is always some puffiness under the eye after surgery as this skin is thin.  Think about what happens if you get hit in the eye area even slightly - you bruise and swell.  Theses are often refered to as malar bags and in some patients my require treatment with a diuretic but in almost all go away by themselves.  I am sure you will be happy with the result and if it still bothers you, go back to your doctor and ask him or her if anything is wrong.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon