Possible Lower Eyelid Retraction After Blepharoplasty?

I have just done my lower blepharoplasty (today is 4th day) and I am worried that I am having eyelid retraction. My eyes been red and dried for last few days ( I have actively using ice pad, almost 10-14 hours a day). Should I be worried and what should be done? Do you think this will go away? I am being a little bit paranoid as I have googled online as most of the people do not have this symptom after the eyelid surgery.

+1

Massage, taping, and proper lubrication may all be recommended.  I would follow closely with your surgeon as he or she will be in the best position to monitor your condition and the progress over time.                                                                                                              Kenneth Hughes, MD                                                                                                            Los Angeles, CA

Relatively normal postoperative swelling.

+1

For now the photograph is not alarming. Generally taking of the lower lid to assist with support and therapeutic massage encouraging the lid to press against the globe as well as ascend will fixed the problem.

Early lower eyelid retraction and ectropion

+1

You do have an early lower eyelid ectropion and retraction.  This is not unusual due to any pre-existing laxity of the lower eyelid combined the surgery and swelling.  Keep your eye  moist to prevent corneal irritation and follow instructions from your surgeon

4 days

+1

After four days it is normal to have your symptoms. In my past, I have given the patient eyedrops to prevent dryness and irritation. It takes a while for the swelling to lessen and your muscle function to return. Compresses that you describe will also help. Keep in touch with your surgeon. 

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

OK at 4 days after surgery.

+1

The way you have taken this picture makes it very difficult to assess lid retraction.  What you are showing here is actually a mild ectropion.  Generally this is caused by a weakening of the orbicularis oculi muscle from the infracillary incision.  Yes this can be the start of a lower eyelid retraction.  However it is also possible for the motor function to return and for the lid to resume its close contact with the globe as swelling resolves.  More photos would be helpful to get a better idea of the vertical position of the eyelid.  At this point, a degree of patience is needed to see how this goes.  Please communicate your concern to your surgeon and let us know about your progress.