Possible to Have Lower Eyelid Lift at Same Time As Scar Revision?

6 months ago I had a scar revision for a scar on lower eyelid. The tissue connecting the lower and upper eyelids on the outer corner of my eye stretched too much as a result of the poorly performed surgery resulting in a pulled down lower eyelid. I now need someone who can lift up my lower eyelid AND at the same time remove the scar (4-5mm wide, 2cm long) from my lower eyelid. Is this something that can be done? If yes, who is the BEST for this procedure in the NYC area? Don't hesitate to recommend yourself too.

Scar revision

+1

I would have to examine you myself to determine what is the best procedure and cost to revise a previous eyelid surgery. I am an ophthalmic plastic surgeon and part of my practice is eyelid revision surgery. Since you posted on RealSelf I would give you a complimentary consult.

Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid lift with scar revision

+1

Look for an oculoplastic surgeon who can perform the scar excision and revision and reset the down turned look through a canthoplasty or canthopexy procedure.

Scar revision with eyelid surgery

+1

Hello - Yes, both procedure may be able to be performed at the same time. However, it's difficult to say exactly what needs to be done without actually examining you. Support for the lower eyelid may need to be augmented with either a midface lift or actually securing the lower eyelid to the bone around your eye.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Complex lower eyelid scars: not for the tame at heart

+1

For a long, moderately thick eyelid scar, the trick is to repair the problem while NOT increasing tension on the eyelid. As many surgeons already noted, sometimes a midface lift is needed. At other times large dissections of the eyelid and surrounding tissues are enough.

There is no quick fix for this complex problem. You are correct to assume that not every surgeon can tackle such a complex problem. I would recommend an oculoplastic surgeon with significant experience in eyelid reconstruction. Two in Manhattan that I like for this are Dr. Richard Lisman and Dr. Rene Rodriguez-Sains.

Good luck!

Minas Constantinides, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower blepharoplasty and ectropion

+1

It sounds as if you are describing lower eyelid ectropion.From your description, I would: 1. Suspend the lower eyelid with a canthopexy (suspension procedure) 2. Possibly consider a midface lift (if on examination your cheeks appear to be exhibiting significant drag on your lower lids.)

Burr Von Maur, MD

Lower eyelid revision

+1

If you had a previous blepharoplasty, and are unahppy with the scar, this certainly can be revised. In addition if you have a depressed lower eyelid or an ectropion or sclearal show, this can be corrected at the same time.

Correcting an ectropion

+1

It sounds from your description that you have developed an ectropion which is where the lower eyelid is pulled downward. If that is the case, you are correct in that you need a procedure that will suspend the lower eyelid so that it does not pull downward. That would also involve correcting the tethered eyelid scar that you are describing. Several surgeons in New York City include Dr. Andrew Jaconi, Dr. Minas Constanides and Dr. Norman Pastorek. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tough to answer without pics and exam

+1

Some questions on RealSelf.com can be answered easily in a general fashion.  Your question seems to be more complicated.  Of course the 2 surgeries can be performed simultaneously- in fact this may be the only way.  On the other hand only an exam can truly answer your question.  I would go to my friend Dr. Spinelli- tell him that Dr Shuter said hi.  Good luck.

David Shuter, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Revising tethering Scar at corner of Eye

+1

In performing Upper Eyelid Lifts (Blepharoplasty) along with a through the skin (Transcutaneous / Subciliary) Lower lid lift, one must be very careful not to have the scars come close to each other along the side of the eyes. Such scars often interact and bind to one another creating ugly tethering. Correction requires scar removal and various techniques such as Z-plasty to separate the scars.

In the New York area the acknowledged Eye masters are Dr. Henry Spinelli and Dr. Glenn Jelks. They see a lot of complications similar and worse than yours and may be able to help you.

Dr. P. Aldea

Ectropion

+1

You have what sounds like an ectropion or eversion of your lower lid where the red conjunctiva is showing and where tears can drip.

The fix depends on the severity of your problem.  If its severe, I suggest you do your homework and use surgeons who specialize in eyelids and reconstruction of the lid, who can show you before and after photos that are taken at least a year post-op, who can provide you with references to contact, and who are willing to even let you talk to a patient who didn't achieve the result that was desired and how those issues were resolved.  Find out what their revision policy is too as it is possible you will need one.

You are likely looking at having to have a canthopexy/plasty... and not everyone is good at them.

Curtis Wong, MD