Lower Eyelid Correction? (photo)

Hello all! I would really appreciate your advice. Both my upper and lower eyelids seem to be big. This shows specially when I smile, squint, look up, or pretty much do anything with my eyes besides neutral position (pic). My face is long, thin with some dark circles. Not sure if I have bulgy/hollow eyes, or just excess skin on my eyelids, but I would like to know which are my options if I wanted to reduce the bulgy effect on the lower lids, at least? Thank you very much and Happy Holidays!

Bulgy eyelids and dark circles

+3

The eyelid thickening you notice with animating your eye area is normal. It is caused by the contraction of the muscle that encircles the eye (orbicularis oculi). This thickening effect is a normal feature and is not a sign of aging and woulnd't be improved with surgery.

The dark skin of the lower eyelids can be hard to address. This is often due changes of the skin itself. There may be an aspect of shadowing from some volume loss from the lower eyelids that can be addressed with a filler such as restylane, but it's hard to tell from your photos alone if this would be beneficial.

Eyelids

+2

I would not touch your eyelids, they look fine.  The dark circles can be caused by many things including allergies, thin skin, genetics.  Sometimes skin lightening creams can help dark circles.

This is precisely not an issue you should have surgery for.

+2

You are supposed to heap up tissue when you smile.  This tells the world that your smile is genuine.  Having this little heap of tissue when you smile is normal.  Please do not invite a well meaning surgeon to cut your lower eyelids.  This will damage your beautiful face.  You do have a slight under eye circle and if you are going to do anything a bit of under eye Restylane is what I would recommend.

Lower eyelid correction for bulgy eyes?

+2

Thank you for the photos. You look young with pretty eys and eyelids. The lower lids bulge when you smile, because that is what supposed to happen when you tighten the eyelid muscles. You do have prominent eyes there's some shadowing which gives you darker circles. Do NOT let anyone operate on your eyelids, they look pretty.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Lower lid surgery not indicated

+2
Your have lovely eyes. Perhaps, if the area below the lower lids develops wrinkling or hollowness as you age, you would be a candidate for Restylane, but for now, this should not be of concern and you should leave it alone. Everyone's face develops crinkling when they smile! It's natural!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Lower eyelid surgery for bulging eyes.

+2

Lower eyelid surgery for bulging eyes is not for you. Your eyes are normal and pretty. Don't let anyone talk you into surgery. Eyes look best when you are smiling--so smile your pretty eyes away!

Lower eyelid correction

+1

With respect to the lower lids, the determination of whether lower eyelid blepharoplasty is needed or not is made while the patient is at rest, not animation.  If at rest there is puffiness of the lower lids this is due to 3 little fat pads in the lower lids.  It is impossible to make a surgical determination upon animation and smiling due to the contracture of the orbicularis oculi muscle or the smiling muscle around the eyes.  The primary goal of lower blepharoplasty is to remove the fat bags in the lower lids through a transconjunctival approach while any excess skin is removed from an external incision along the lash line.

Lower Eyelid Correction

+1

Difficult to fully tell from your photos but I would suggest two options. The first would be a mild laser with either the CO2 fraxel laser or a brush with the Erbium laser.  The second would be a trans conjunctival blepharoplasty to conservatively remove any fat before then doing laser to the skin for slight tightening. I would point out that I am not an advocate and very opposed to putting filler in the eyelids to even out bulges. The reality is the proceedure rarely looks good and is not going to the root of the problem which is weakness in the orbital septum and uneven protrusion of orbital fat.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid suregery

+1

You have nice eyelids and are not an individual who should have any type of surgery or injections.

Ronald Iverson, MD
Pleasanton Plastic Surgeon