I Had a Lower Eye Lift Almost 4 Weeks Ago. My Eyes Have a Pulled Down Look. Will This Go Away? (photo)

Does My Eyes Look Ectropion? Please show me how to massage my eyelid to help it lift up my eyes lid

Had a Lower Eye Lift Almost 4 Weeks Ago. My Eyes Have a Pulled Down Look. Will This Go Away?

+1

It may not and you seem to have lower lid malposition following your lower eyelid surgery (Blepharoplasty).  You should ask the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your eyelid surgery for a referral to an occuloplastic surgeon for evaluation and possible treatment.

Lower eyeljd retraction following blepharoplasty.

+1

Lower eyelid malposition and/or retraction (ectropion) is not uncommon following blepharoplasty.  Various conservative measures such as massage, taping, injection of steroid and/or 5FU are an option early in the healing period but typically will not fully correct the problem.  Full correction will generally require surgery which is best performed 8 to 12 months following the initial surgery at the earliest.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC, FACS.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower lid malposition after blepharoplasty usually can be corrected with nonsurgical treatment.

+1

In the photograph lower lid is definitely depressed. To prevent this from becoming a permanent fixture which would require another operation therapeutic taping, lower eyelid distraction, and possibly even a temporary tarsorrhaphy should be considered.

Lower eyelid blepharoplasty- early result

+1

There is no question that you have an ectropion due either to:

1. Laxity of the lower eyelid canthal tendon
  2. Over resection of the skin of the lower eyelids
  3. Scarring of the middle layer of the eyelid

An examination is needed to determine massage, stretching and taping will be beneficial.  

Ectropion

+1

It looks like you have an ectropion.  Usually massage of the lower lid, taping of the eye, and lubrication helps. Best to follow with your surgeon.

Pulled down eyelid after lower blepharoplasty

+1
The pulling seen in your photo is an ectropion as the lid is pulled away from the eye. Massage can help along with protective drops to reduce dryness and irritation. See your surgeon for instructions and help.

Post blepharoplasty ectropion

+1

Lower eyelid ectropion as a result of scarring from blepharoplasty is a common complication. Time and massage [starting from the inside and moving outside and upward] may help.

However, early followup with your surgeon is indicated. Steroid and/or 5FU injections into the scar may improve or accelerate the softening of the scar and possible help avoid revision surgery. One month postop may be ideal time for such and injection.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

No this is not going away.

+1

This is a direct complication of your lower eyelid surgery.  Massage and time will soften the  effect but will not result in the eyelid healing in the correct position.  This will need highly specialized reconstructive surgery.  Your surgeon may offer to "tuck" the lid or put a "stitch" in.  These are simplistic solutions to this issue and are only likely to use up more of the resources you will need to help with a definitive correction.  Unless you are having cornea exposure issues, let this are heal for 6 to 12 months before having a definitive surgical correction.  You may need to travel to have this corrected.

Ectropion after lower lid surgery

+1

Thank you for asking about your healing after lower lid blepharoplasty.

1. The photo suggests ectropion - lower lid pulled down and away from the eye.
  2. This is a complication of the blepharoplasty surgery.
  3. This may be temporary - massage and time will help.
  4. Taping to support the lower lid will help overflow of tears.
  5. But injections and surgery can be needed. See your surgeon and discuss what to expect and his/her plan to follow this until you are satisfied. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Yes this is Ectropion

+1

Thank you for your picture. This text does appear to be ectropion. The massage is real simple just take your index finger and just rub your lower eyelid. Do this as often as you can. This will help loosen up the scar. If this does not work after approximately two months placement of steroids beneath the incision plus massage can help.

Good luck.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS