Lower Eye Lid Repair After Blepharoplasty?

I had a lateral canthal resuspension with scarlysis and grafting on right eye a week ago - left eye scheduled for 7/30. I am going absolutely insane with the itching. The eye is still bandaged and that will be removed tomorrow. What can I do now and what differently with the second surgery? Yhe itching is SO INTENSE i would like to claw my eyes out.

Please call your doctor immediately and do not assume this is normal.

+2

Things happen: allergic reactions, corneal abrasions.  A patched eye after surgery should be perfectly comfortable aside from a bit of soreness.  Anything else is not normal. It is possible for your surgeon to carefully take the patch down and examine the eye to see what is going on.  Have this done today, now!  Generally it is a bad idea to have an eye patched like this for more than 1 week.

Talk with your surgeon

+1

I would assume you have spoken to your surgeon about these symptoms.  I would try a steroid eye drop to alleviate the itching.  I wonder if you may be having an allergic reaction to something.  We often use bacitracin ointment in the eyes after surgery and I have had one patient react to this.  I treated the patient with steroid drops and the symptoms resolved.

James H. Rosing, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

SPeak to your surgeon

+1

Sometimes a mild steroid eye ointment will help with itching and ice compresses are extremely helpful in keeping itching at bay. Have a bowl with ice water to soak the washcloth in and apply to your eyes.

Speak to your surgeon about these problems.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon