Lower Body Lift? Risks After TT?

I had my tt/mr about a 2yrs ago. My ps was very cautious when it came to the tummy tuck, I received lovenox for 5 days post surgery. In oct I'm having back part of TT I think it's called lower body lift. He dosent seem as concerned, he says that the surgery is not as invasive so no lovenox, but surgery is still 2 hours. What is the difference between the risk of one or the other? .I'm just wondering what to expect and if you have any words of wisdom. I'm 5"5 and 130 pounds.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Body Lifting and VTE Risk

+1

Thank you for your thoughtful question. The second procedure is the second half of a body lift of the buttock and lateral thigh lift.  A body lift combines a tummy tuck with a lateral thigh and buttock lift.  Your surgeon is correct that it is a bit less invasive than your first procedure.  The risk factors for blood clots are well known and include things such as family history, previous history, extensive operations, recent trauma, hormone supplementation, age, BMI, recent cancer, etc.  If you have more than one risk factor then you are at moderate risk and should be treated with compression boots and blood thinners.  Any general anesthetic procedure can give you a blood clot if you have enough risk factors.  The risk of blood thinners after surgery is low, so I would consider using it for a buttock lift also if you had two or more risk factors. Good luck.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Lower Body Lift? Risks After TT?

+1

The tummy tuck has the highest risk for DVT. So the second stage would have a lower risk. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/tummy-tuck-photo-galleries.php

Body Lift after Tummy Tuck - Do I need a blood thinner like Lovenox?

+1

You ask an excellent question, which is basically "Is there less blood clot risk from this surgery than from a Tummy Tuck?"  Safety in any plastic surgery procedure should always be priority one.

I evaluate every patient's blood clot risk (commonly referred to as DVT or VTE risk in the medical profession) for every surgery. I do believe that what you have described would rate a lower risk overall than a Tummy Tuck procedure. However, in addition to the procedure, we evaluate a number of other factors such as age, body mass index, and use of birth control or hormones among many others. 

It is likely that your surgeon has evaluated these other factors in determining whether or not to give a blood thinner injection (such as Lovenox), and it is likely that he will use other precautionary anti-clotting measures for your surgery (such as compression pumps before and during surgery and careful body warming during surgery). Your best bet is to contact your surgeon or his medical staff and ask.

Hope this helps

Nick Slenkovich, MD FACS

Web reference: http://www.coloradoplasticsurgery.com/tucks-lifts.aspx

Denver Plastic Surgeon