Would a Lower Body Lift Be the Answer? (photo)

I went and had a consult with a surgeon and he was telling me to get a lower body lift with a vertical incision down my stomach. Of course, I want the best results, but I just wanted a tummy tuck. I want very minimal scarring and I want them all to be hidden with underwear. Here are a couple photos of my stomach. Do you think a tummy tuck would give me the flat stomach I am wanting or is the lower body lift/vertical incision my only option?

Would a Lower Body Lift Be the Answer?

+3

In order to properly answer this question a full exam is needed.  In general if you find laxity of skin that extends out over the lateral thigh, hips and buttocks region, a body lift with an abdominoplasty would be a very good procedure.  There is a very high satisfaction rate with this procedure if the car is kept relatively symmetric and low.  

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Waist contouring

+1

Its really difficult to tell what you need from your photos posted.  A physical exam is required.  If you are considering a lower body lift - this procedure (LBL) is also referred to as  circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  The buttock lift can also include buttock augmentation.  The lateral thigh lift will help contour the lateral aspect of your thighs.  The procedure can taken between 5-7 hours depending on the amount of tissue/skin that needs removal/treatment.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Sugene Kim

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Tummy contouring options

+1

You mentioned a lower body lift.  Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation).  However, based on your photos, you may not need a lower body lift - but this would depend on your goals and areas of concern.  Perhaps a tummy tuck with liposuctioning of your waists and posterior flanks could achieve your goals.  A physical exam would be needed to make any recommendations.  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Lower body lift

+1

A body lift can truly change your life. Excess abdominal fat  and skin is removed, the abdomen and your core is tightened, your saddlebags on your hips are raised and your buttock has new definition and shape.  The combination is powerful and the results are immediate. The real answer toy your question is in the exam. If you have excess kin circumferentialy then a body lift is the answer. If not than a tummy tuck may do the trick The most important thing is safety. Please don't compromise on this! See a board certified plastic surgeon

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Lower Body Lift vs. Tummy Tuck

+1

If you "just want a tummy tuck" then I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion from another plastic surgeon.  Although your photos do not substitute for an in-person consultation, I imagine that a tummy tuck would give you a very result that you would be happy with.

I usually reserve lower body lifts for patients who have had major weight loss and have an abundance of excess skin of the abdomen, back, and thighs.  

Best of luck to you!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Would a Lower Body Lift Be the Answer

+1

I think you would be well served by a standard abdominoplasty. An in person exam will, as always, result in more specific of a recommendation. 

Vertical tummy tucks work well when needed, but the tradeoff is a long verical scar that can't be hidden by a 2 piece swimsuit. They are most often recommended to patients after massive weight loss. 

I would suggest gathering additional opinions. All the best. 

Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement

+1

You are an excellent candidate for an abdominoplasty.  This technique can be done without a vertical incision and should give you the results you desire.  If you are not planning future pregnancies, it is possible this could be combined with mesh.  Mesh will give you a more houglass figure, make your abdominal wall stronger, help you lose weight and maintain the reduced weight.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

A tummy tuck alone will provide a very nice result

+1

Thank you very much for the question and the photos.  From the photos and information that you have provided I believe an abdominoplasty alone would provide for a very nice result.  Since your waist is wider than your mid-abdominal area i do not think that the amount of laxity that you have will necessarily require a vertical incision as well.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck or lower body lift

+1

Your photos are not very good for assessing your situation, however, I don't think that you have enough loose skin to warrant a vertical scar as part of your tummy tuck.  Based on your pictures, I would think that you would get a nice result from a full tummy tuck alone with the scars hidden across the lower part of your abdomen.  You might want to see another plastic surgeon who can examine you in person for another opinion.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

+1

Over the internet is the LAST place to ask this question. Best to obtain MORE in person consults from boarded PSs in your city. I think you could have a full TT only but very hard to be sure!