Lower Blephroplasty 4 Weeks Ago- One Eye Is Drooping With Under Eye Wrinkles. Is This Permanent?

I had a lower blepharoplasty 4 weeks ago. My left eye looks great but right eye is drooping so you can see more of the White of my eye under my eye ball and i also have a very deep wrinkle underneath as well. The other eye is completely smooth. I have been told to massage it which I have been doing but I look so strange and I am so worried if this will be permanent. If it is what can be done to make it look like my left eye? Is it major surgery?

Lower lid malposition following surgery

+3

Even though this is early after the surgery you need to get very active in following the advice of your plastic surgeon.  Most lower lid problems can be reversed, either with conservative upward massaging, upward taping or suturing with a Frost suture to stretch the lower lid upward with a forehead steristrip and suture combination.  If this does not correct the lower lid position, surgical corrections may be necessary.. Photos would help in evaluating your condition, but your doctor would be the best person to consult about this condition.

Good luck.

Lower lid issue

+2

Sounds like you may have poor muscle tone of the one eye. It is critical to follow closely with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions. These usually get better with time.  Hard to say without a formal exam.

Be patient!

+2

After blepharoplasty, the supporting orbicularis muscle may be weak for 3-4 months causing a sag to the lower lid. Follow your surgeons instructions and be patient for the final results. If there is significant asymmetry after 6 months, a revision with canthoplasty would help. Hang in there, you are very early in the healing process!

J. Charles Finn, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon

I tend to agree with Dr. Khoobehi and disagree with Dr. Rieger.

+1

What you are describing is a relatively common complication of lower eyelid surgery.  Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, this type of problem is unlikely to full resolve.  Time will tell if the problem is severe enough to warrant reconstructive surgery.  However, if you do need reconstructive surgery it will be very unlikely that your original surgeon can help you will this.  It is much more likely that you will need to find an oculoplastic surgeon who specializes in fixing eyelid complications after cosmetic surgery.

Pictures would help us to give you better answer

+1

You may need to have revision surgery. Please send pictures for further evaluation. You may have ectropion and revision may require canthoplasty.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon