Lower Blepharoplasty Soft Bulge Under Incision (photo)

Hi I have just had lower blepharoplasty just over 2 wks ago. Both my eyes have a soft bulge underneath & parellel the incision lines (the left eye being worse than the right). My surgeon has stated that it will dissipate over the coming mths. I have seen no improvement yet since surgery. Please, please advise if I should be worried about this and help explain what this condition is (I am worried I will be like this forever)

Way too early to worry.

+1

Dear Stuburty

It is way to early after surgery for you to worry about asymmetry. There is significant swelling in the first two weeks after surgery, and sometimes even longer than that. Furthermore, surgical scar will evolve and soften over a period of months. I would not consider revision surgery on anyone until the 3 month post operative visit, and sometimes even longer than that. Scars can mature for up to a year after surgery. Please be patient with your body and let it heal.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid incision

+1

It looks like the area is swollen and this it fairly common. It usually settles down within a few weeks.

Lower Blepharoplasty Soft Bulge Under Incision

+1

Thanks for the excellent posted photos. Your issue is two fold. 1. There is residual edema just below the incision that can take a few weeks to months to self correct. 2. You needed a more detailed informed consent so you would have understood this issue can happen. Just be patient it will get better. 

Blepharoplasty bulging

+1
You are still swollen and must be patient before beginning to worry. I agree with your surgeon that you should see improvement over time and, if the end result warrants a small revision, it can performed at a later time.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

OK, those are ugly, very visible incisions.

+1

The right looks better than the left.  What to do about this?  Well you are only 2 weeks out.  It is amazing how things do calm down with time.  I suspect that the right will settle just fine.  The left might need a small revision if this ridge does in fact persist.  I would say it is very likely that even the left side will settle with another month or so of healing and at the end of that time, there may be very little to talk about as it heals.

"Bulge after lower blepharoplasty"

+1

From your photos it appears that you have some swelling along the lower edge of the incision, which is not surprising for this early point postoperatively.  I recommend head elevation, warm compresses, patience, and that you follow your doctor's orders.  Things will get better over time.  Don't panic :).

Swelling under eyes

+1

The first thing that you have to understand is that it has only been two weeks. You are probably still having an inflammatory response and have swelling due to this. You Doctor is right in telling you that it will take a period of time to rectify itself. I know it is difficult to have patience and you like everyone want to see immediate results, but it will come with time. Take care

Jeffrey Adelglass, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon