Small Lump on Blepharoplasty Incision

I had lower blepharoplasty 2 weeks ago to remove fat pads under my eyes. I am thrilled with the result, but I can see and feel a lump on my right lower eyelid, about the size of a rice grain where the incision was made. What can I do about this?

Likely to resolve on its own

+2

Small irregularities can occur on the eyelid incisions, which usually resolve on their own. Occasionally a small whitehead or cyst can develop if the edges of the epithelium get turned over. This can be simply removed with a needle by your surgeon.

The bump on your lower lid incision will likely go away.

+2

Dear Dee,

Feel free to post / email a picture for better advice.

2 weeks after surgery is very early, and the bump could just be some swelling. Sometimes milia (small white bumps) form on the scar and these are easily eliminated in the office.

Let me know if I could be of further assistance, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid bump after blepharoplasty

+2

A small bump in the incision after blepharoplasty is a normal occurance with a skin incision. The incisions will build up a small amount of scar in the immediate post-operative period. The scar will then mature and soften over time. It is very unusual to have to do anything else and you would want to wait 3 months or so to even consider it unless it was really thickening. If that were to happen a small dose of Kenelog (a steroid) will usually fix the problem.

Edward Buckingham, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty; Small Lump on Incision Line

+2

Hi Dee,

If the "lump" persists on the incision line, then a very small dose of Kenalog-10 can be injected to help smooth it out.  Discuss this with your surgeon.

Good luck and enjoy your eyelids.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

These types of issues are common after eyelid surgery

+2

Dear Dee2b

All scars evolve and soften in time. Bleph scars are not different. You are actually at a time point where this types of issues are expected to be at their maximum.

Over the next couple of months, it is expected that this type of problem will get better even if nothing is done. However, I recommend that you contact your surgeon and let them assess what is going one.

It is possible the lump represents a small cyst that might need to be removed or your doctor might recommend message or other treatment that will help speed the resolution of this bump.

Dr. Steinsapir

Blepharoplasty Incisional Lump

+1

Dear Dee2b,  It is quite common to see minor irregularities or lumps on/in bleph incisions in the immediate post operative period. They are usually due to swelling, absorbable suture remnants or cystic lesions called milia. They almost always go away with time or in the case of a milia they are easily treated in the office. Please be patient and follow your surgeons instructions.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

“Bump” after Blepharoplasty surgery

+1

The “bump” on the incision line is likely related to scar tissue;  this will naturally result over the course of several months. Your plastic surgeon will be able to evaluate the area and treat it if necessary.