Massage or Surgery for Raised Swelling After Blepharoplasty?

I had a lower Blepharoplasty peformed and within two days, a raised sausage-shape swelling appeared under the stiches. After stitches were removed, the swelling remained for 6 weeks on. I've been massaging the area it still doesn't go away. The appearance of my other eye is fine and so are the scars. Should I just keep on massaging or will I have to have another surgery to correct it. The stitch is also visible and there was a large tuck at the corner of my eye--this now looks a little better.

Will likely resolve with massage, otherwise a small revision

+1

In general, lower lid incisions heal very well. I would give it more time and massage to allow better healing. A small revision under local could be performed later if needed.

Problem after eyelid surgery

+1

A minor contour abnormality after lower eyelid surgery is not that uncommon. This is especially true in the area of the external incision. The good news is that your are still relatively early in your healing. It all likelihood this would go away on its own with time (up to 12 weeks) and massage.

On the other hand, when this occurs in my patients, I will often inject a small amount of steroid (kenalog) into the contour abnormality. 6 weeks would be a fine time to do this. This injection (when done correctly) can help reduce the contour abnormality and speed its healing.

Hope that helps.

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon