Lower Blepharoplasty - Should it Last Longer Than 3 Years?

I had my upper and lower eyes done 3 years ago and after recovery i wasnt happy with the right lower results. I went back twice to the surgeon to tell him i wasnt happy and he sent me away and was quite nasty. 3 years on and my lower eyebag is just as bad as it was before i had it done. Im sure it should last longer than 3 years?

Should lower blepharoplasty result last longer than 3 years?

+1

I would agree that the results of lower blepharoplasty should last more than three years.  When performing lower blepharoplasty surgery to remove fat, it is always better to err on the side of removing less and not more.  It is much easier to go back and remove a little more than to deal with the issue of a sunken look from too much being removed.  Since your original surgeon is not interested in any revision surgery, I would see another surgeon to discuss the possibility of another procedure to remove a bit more fat on your right side. 

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower blepharoplasty lasts longer than 3 years

+1

A lower blepharoplasty should last much longer than 3 years.  It sounds as though an inadequate fat removal of some of the fatty compartments of the lower lids occurred. Best to seek out a second opinion for reevaluation and touch up.

+1

In general, the procedure should last more than three years.  However, since you were never happy with the original surgery, you should see another surgeon to discuss repeating the procedure.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unsatisfactory Lower Blepharoplasty Result

+1

This sounds more like the initial result was not adequate rather than failing to have a longer lasting result. Either you can readdress this with your original surgeon (which does not sound like it will be any more fruitful three years later than right after) or seek another plastic surgeon's opinion.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty

+1

I would certainly expect the results from a lower eyelid blepharoplasty to last more than three years.  It may be that the problem in your case is not that the result has not held up for a period of time, but more likely, there was an inadequate excision of a lower eyelid fat pocket.  

Michael Sundine, MD

Lower blepharoplasty

+1

Perhaps you need a revision to address the eyebag that is bothering you?  It is soemtims necessary to take more.

Lower Eyelid Surgery: How long should it last

+1

I am sorry to hear that things have not turned out.  Lower eyelid surgery has evolved considerably from just removing excess fat and skin, to a variety of techniques to blend the lower eyelid with the cheek.  However, in most cases some eyelid fat is removed, and the results should be long lasting for 10 years or more.  With the aging process, the cheek fat drops with some increased demarcation of the lower eyelid and the lower eyelid tissues continue to relax both causing recurrence of the aged appearance.  However, if you are having issues at 3 years, I would have to say that the original operation was not done optimally: either not enough fat was removed, or it was not effectively repositioned, or the skin was not effectively redraped.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS