I Just Had Lower Blepharoplasty Last Feb 7. How Come I Still Look Like I Have Eyebags? (photo)

You did not have an eye bag before and you don't have one now.

+2

You have undereye circles which are also known as a tear trough deficit.  Unfortunately removing lower eyelid fat will only make the hollow worse.  You are very early from surgery so the hollowing is likely to get a bit worse as you heal further.  Under eye filler is really the best option for you provided you can find the right injector.  This was really the best option for you rather than lower eyelid surgery and it continues to be your best option.

Bags under eyes after lower blepharoplasty

+2

It's difficult to tell from your pictures what the issue may be.  It seems as though there may not be puffiness under your eyes, but rather an area of depression.  If your surgery was just earlier this month, then there still will be some healing taking place.  I would wait at least six months after the surgery before beginning to judge the results.  If there is an area of depression, this could be improved with a filler, like Restylane.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early in the healing process, but whether it's fluid or residual fat can be determined

+1

Many of my patients after eyelid surgery have the same concerns but not because they still have bags, but because they still have puffiness under their eyes. Generally after I perform any eyelid surgery, the fat pockets have been addressed but I tell my patients that from the first month to two months, there is going to be some degree of swelling. I suspect what you are likely experiencing is swelling that's part of the normal process of healing. Basically, the puffiness is fluid from the active process of healing. The eyes are so sensitive to swelling that a little bit of swelling can look like a lot.

After the first month, I tell patients that there may be some fluctuations on the healing process depending on the patient’s response to the surgery. If a patient has sinus issues, allergies or is a smoker or ex-smoker, they tend to have swelling that lingers a bit longer.  I assure them that it can get better day by day over the course of several months even up to a year. It’s important that you follow up with your doctor and make sure that you understand your situation.

Now usually after a month, I can make a distinction whether or not the swelling is because of fluid or from any residual fat that may have pushed forward. Whatever the case, I observe it if it needs enhancement and we can do it in a time where the swelling has resolved so that we can be sure that it’s because of fat.

I recommend that you communicate with your doctor and try to learn how to distinguish fluid from fat and hopefully, as the months go by, this will get better and you get the results you want.  I hope that was helpful, and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

1 year ago?

+1

When you say "last Feb 7" do you mean in 2012 or 2013?

If its 2013, then its way too soon to be worried about the results.

However if you are talking about 1 year postop, then a more close up view may be needed. Its hard to say whether you have residual fat prolapse or rather the groove below [tear trough] is volume deficient.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon