What Can Be Done for Lower Blepharoplasty Incisions that Extend Beyond Outer Corner of the Eye?

After lower transcutanues bleph-the inscisions extend apprx 1inch beyond the outer corner of the eyes-scar is depressed on the right side and looks "bunched up" and bumpy as the sutures were so tight! (had mentioned this to P.S. DURING surgery but he ignored it)On the left side the sutures did not close the incision and the incision healed opened and indented. I am concerned that both incisions are Very obvious and will not heal or become flush!its been 3wks post op.and still look very "obvious"

At this point your best option is to allow these incisions to heal.

+2

Incisions that look obvious often heal surprisingly well.  I personally like to avoid the lower eyelid skin/muscle incision whenever possible.  When a skin approach is need, I avoid extending it laterally.  I think surgeons like these because it simplifies surgery but I have never met a patients who liked these incisions no matter how well the may ultimately heal.  That is not to say the these incisions may not ultimately prove to be a problem.  However this is something that can be carefully followed by your surgeon.  If you are not comfortable with your surgeon at this point, I would encourage you to find alternative care with an oculoplastic surgeon.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory on their website that will help you find a highly qualified oculoplastic surgeon in your area (asoprs dot org).

Immediate postoperative eyelid scars.

+1

This is a very good question.  Eyelid scars will certainly look different months from now than they do right after surgery.  I would wait to judge the overall appearance until more time has passed.  You may be amazed at how good they may look several months from now.   If they continue to look unsatisfactory to you, always express that feeling to your Plastic Surgeon.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Blepharoplasty Scars

+1

Although I appreciate your concerns, you should be aware that at  incision lines look much better at 3 months ( and at one year)  than they do at 3 weeks. I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon  and evaluation of the scars many months from now.

Timing Of Scar Revision Of Lower Blepharoplasty Scars

+1

The first thing to appreciate is that despite how the scars may look now, it is early and there is plenty of time for improvement. I would give it at least three months and see how the scars are progressing. If you remain still displeased with their appearance or do not feel that their progress will be optimistic for a good final result, then you can have those scars revised. That could be done in the office under local anesthesia. Secondary scar revision of the lateral canthal extension of lower blepharoplasty scars should produce signficant improvement if it is needed.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Bad scars following blepharoplasty

+1

You need to discuss  your surgery with your surgeon.  If there is a gap that was created due to the wound pulling apart,  it will not improve with time.  Document your concerns with your surgeon and with photographs.  I would then wait a month or two from now and then revisit your surgeon.    I have not seen incisions that extend 1 inch beyond the outer canthus of the eyelid.   Hope this helps.  Scars cannot be removed, only improved upon.

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)

Incisions fade over time

+1

I can't comment on your incisions without seeing them, but I can assure you that at three weeks you haven't seen your final result. Your incisions will take a year to completely fade.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty scarring

+1
I, too, do not extend the lower blepharoplasty scars. However, keep in mind that you are only three weeks postop and entering the most inflammatory phase of the healing process so you need to have a little more patience prior to assessing the results. It may all go on to heal nicely.

Robert L. Kraft, MD