I Have Undergone a Lower Blepharoplasty with Little Effect, What Now?

my surgeon says I now need laser resurfacing I will have go to his clinic. Iwill need to fly to his clinic ,is all the upheavel worth it,am I going to get a good result this time? the lower blepharoplasty had little to no effect.

Revision of lower lid blepharoplasty

+3

Before planning a second procedure, whether laser or surgery, the key question is to ask why the first one didn't achieve the desired result.  Was the surgery too conservative or was the outcome based on weak skin tone?  An examination would be necessary as even photos will not tell the whole story.  This is another cautionary tale as to the difficulty involved in being a plane ride away from your surgeon.  I know that, in NY, we take the presence of many plastic surgeons for granted, but you would do well to see a second surgeon in consultation and seriously consider various options prior to a revision.

Why double down with this surgeon?

+3

He did a service.  You do not feel you have an effect.  Perhaps it is time to find a different surgeon.  It is one thing to prepare a patient ahead of time that they will need both eyelid surgery and a laser resufacing.  It is appropriate to do conservative surgery.  However, a surgeon should know when the surgery is going to be so conservative that the patient is not likely to perceive a benefit.  Advance preparation is the mark of a good surgeon.  I am sensing that you did not have the benefit of this advance preparation and now talk of laser resurfacing sound more like an excuse.  This might be a good time to quit while you are ahead.

Post eyelid surgery and laser peels

+3

Lowe eyelid surgery has become more conservative over the last decade, and rightly so.  There have been many problems in function and form for the lower lids when  aggressive surgery has been performed.  I would be interested in knowing how many months ago your eyelid surgery was performed.  In my opinion I would make no effort to do anything for resurfacing for at least 6 to 12 months from your surgical date.  Use the advice of your surgeon to give you suitable recommendations for the future, but  if you have concerns always get  a second opinion.

Good luck to you.  I know you will make the right decision.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

+2

Need in person examination or second opinions from boarded PSs in your area. I recommend a possible peeling or laser therapy. 

Eyelid surgery and post operative changes, blepharoplasty

+2

we need photos.    there are different ways to do a blepharoplasty starting with a skin pinch 

transconjuctival fat removal.  muscle suspension.  

depending on what was done and what you need additional improvement can be possible

+2

Without photos showing how your eyes looked before and after the Lower Blepharoplasty, there's no way to evaluate and comment.  If the Laser resurfacing is to smooth out excess skin, perhaps this would be an added benefit.

Lower eyelid blepharoplasty and skin resurfacing

+2

Dear Minny

• I agree with the other surgeons on the board and would add that you might find a surgeon within driving distance.    
  • The additional stress of flying to see someone may not be worth it.

Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty results

+2

I would say photos, photos, photos, but even with photos it is difficult to assess the eyelid skin qulaity adequately without a formal exam.

Lower bleph

+2

Without oictures. it is impossible to tell. However if you expected all of the superficial rhytids to be gone you are probably disappointed. Your surgeon may be correct. Aresurfaving procedure could help. Remember, in lower lid surgery underdone is far better than overdone

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Photos would be helpful

+2

Honestly Minny,

Unless you post photos of what your pre and post surgical results look like, as well as timing of the surgery, then our advice will not be very helpful.

Most surgeons will be conservative about surgery on the lower eyelids, because the risk of taking too much is much more severe than the risk of  not doing enough [further removal of tissue....if that what really needs to be done.]

In general "less" is usually less risk.  But, if you are not satisfied the result, discussion with your surgeon is worthwhile.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon